Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle Cranks - Freeze Plug & Pilot Bearing problems??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Eagle Cranks - Freeze Plug & Pilot Bearing problems??

Hey Guys, i was reading another thread where someone said that the pilot bearing hole on the crank was not very "precise"...

Ive actually been having problems with the freeze plug leaking in my Eagle 4" stroker crank, as well as having problems getting my pilot bearing to stay put. ive trashed 2 pilot bearings already because they came loose. one time it actually damaged the input shaft of my trans as well.

have any of you heard of this before??

im going to install a new freeze plug, and seal it with silicon to keep the oil out, but what should I do to tighten up the pilot bearing??
Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd use some epoxy on the plug, but clean everything well. You could contact eagle aboutit to see if they would supply you with the plug at least. They might send you a new pilot bearing thats nurled some to maek more contact. Sucks to do, but not a big deal to patch up and get it moving again.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem with the plug on the back end of the crank, it was not seated properly due to what looked like a finger nail size of metal (burr) that was not removed b4 the plug was installed on the back of the crank. Luckily i didn't do any damage to the crank an the dealership was able to hunt down a replacement at the local machine shop. I called TSP about this back in 05 when it happened an they said it was a rare case. If you are referring to the same thing I am talking about then I guess it is not a rare issue. The only reason we found out about it was because I took the car in to have a new clutch put in an he noticed that the plug was not seated all the way when he removed the pilot bearing. I have it still to this day an I can take a pic an send it to ya if you need. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm thanks for the info guys... the freeze plug has leaked twice on me.. one time ruining my $$$$$ twin disc clutch. so I want it FIXED haha. ill try the epoxy, im more worried about the pilot bearing coming loose though. Ive tried a pilot bearing and a bushing, both came loose
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1" freeze plug and jb weld it. it wasted my clutch and will not happen again
Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevydan
1" freeze plug and jb weld it. it wasted my clutch and will not happen again
same here..
Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Some clutch manufacturers will rebuild your disc/pressure plate for some savings.
I know Mcleod used to before they were sold.

Quick Reply: Eagle Cranks - Freeze Plug & Pilot Bearing problems??