Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 to LS1 Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 to LS1 Swap.

I'm thinking about swapping my LT1 in my 97 camaro with a ls1. The car was given to me from my mom after my step dad passed away he dropped a lt1 he got from a vette in it and well i like the motor its just I'm looking for a little bit more kick. The only problem is I don't really have the means to do this like i don't have a lift or any real expertise working on cars so i was just wondering around about how much it would cost me money / timewise to pay to have someone install the motor for me...well when i get it that is.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Standard flat rate allowance for removing and replacing the long block is about 25 hours but that will not cover the conversion which will necessarily involve installing a completely different powertrain managment system (computer and wiring harness). I would figure on no fewer than 45 hours. Local hourly rates vary all over the place. (In my area they run from $60 to $120 per hour.)

You could probably get more information in the Conversions and Hybrids section.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM

So i'm looking at least 3-5 grand just in labor? Is it even possible to pull the motor out from the top? Because my stepdad dropped it out of the bottom, and I don't even know if that's possible to do without a lift.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WarchiefGarrosh
I'm thinking about swapping my LT1 in my 97 camaro with a ls1. The car was given to me from my mom after my step dad passed away he dropped a lt1 he got from a vette in it and well i like the motor its just I'm looking for a little bit more kick. The only problem is I don't really have the means to do this like i don't have a lift or any real expertise working on cars so i was just wondering around about how much it would cost me money / timewise to pay to have someone install the motor for me...well when i get it that is.
You don't need a lift necessarily, jackstands and a cherry picker have worked in the past.

You don't need a great deal of mechanical expertise either.

You do need the ability to do research and you're not off to a great start in this area.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 AM

Well i know i could def do it if i had enough time to research more stuff about the motor and swapping, and i know i've seen conversions done by using jackstands.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Cheaper to sell and buy an LS1 car. Seriously. All of your other bolt-ons should just swap on over anyway.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not doing your own work, and w/ all the parts you'll need i would just trade up to a LS car...