Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 Build questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Build questions

hi guys, well ive officially swapped from mopar to GM, good news to start it off. im looking into building a LQ4 6.0 with 177,000 KM on it, and i plan on ripping the whole thing down, honing the block, and redoing the bearings, balancing the crank, a full acid dip, the works. Now, this is my first motor build, and i wanna do it right, and do it big. i plan on picking the block up this week from a local wrecker, and it comes with ALL the accerories, full harness, and ignition system. now i was leaning towards a Carb setup, for simplicity, but i really do like the look and setup of an EFI build. as far as electronics that come with it from the wrecker (its still in the truck its coming out of) what should i be taking and NOT taking from it, if i were to do either carb, or EFI. also, what other precautions should i be taking, and steps i should be taking while stripping the block down? like i said, first motor rebuild, and im having a very hard time finding anyone who's done a start-to-finish step by step thread. any and all help or advice would be appreciated. and like i said, id rather do it right, and take longer/cost more, than do a budget build. also as for info as to what it'll be going into, im looking at a G-body, or a GEN 2 or GEN 3 1/2 ton 2wd truck. thanks guys! lets build something badass
Old 07-27-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance you can get the whole truck? If you can, that would be great.....that would give you the matching tranny and all other little parts and peices you might never think of till you need that one tiny little bracket. Also, most of the newer cars have a body control module separate from the ecm, that can control things like the fuel pump and gauges(not sure, but I would think the trucks would too).
Old 07-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

well, the wrecker im getting the motor from, im good friends with the owner, so picking through the truck will be alot cheaper than just buying the whole parts truck. as for the BCM, and ECM. im just not too sure what i NEED to get, what i SHOULD get, and what i can live without, if i keep ALL of the stock wiring, will i still need someone to make me a seperate harness for the car? and if i run a carb setup compared to a EFI, whats the difference in wiring neccesities? just all sorts of pros and cons of each system, and is running the stock 2500 HD tranny really my wisest choice? thanks mark for the suggestions!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Things I would change on a LQ4:

1- Either heads or pistons to raise compression. This is one of the easiest way to make more power.
2- Have it sonic tested to decide final bore. More cubes equal more power so I would go for over 400 cid. Of course this would require a crank.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by doorslammer01
well, the wrecker im getting the motor from, im good friends with the owner, so picking through the truck will be alot cheaper than just buying the whole parts truck. as for the BCM, and ECM. im just not too sure what i NEED to get, what i SHOULD get, and what i can live without, if i keep ALL of the stock wiring, will i still need someone to make me a seperate harness for the car? and if i run a carb setup compared to a EFI, whats the difference in wiring neccesities? just all sorts of pros and cons of each system, and is running the stock 2500 HD tranny really my wisest choice? thanks mark for the suggestions!
Summit racing and Jegs sell the swap kits with computer and wiring, and also have boxes to run the coil packs for a carbed swap
Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Teching In

With a summit computer/wiring kit, do I need the stock ECM or bcm and truck harness still?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by doorslammer01
With a summit computer/wiring kit, do I need the stock ECM or bcm and truck harness still?
I just know they have the kits, I never needed one so I haven't really looked at them close...never hurts to give them a call and talk to one of their tech guys. 1-800-230-3030