Sponsored by:

ok. quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:49 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ok. quick question

i have a double roller timing chain. am i suppose to put rtv on the oil pump spacers? this is the first i hear. i already ripped the engine aprt once to fix the o ring pickup tube. now i read in another thread that u have to put rtv sealant on the oil pump spacers. is this true
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did'nt.No problems here.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:48 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

thanks for the reply IMK. any1 else????
Old 03-03-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, you probably read my post in that other thread. The thing is, you will never really know if there is a problem unless your oil pressure is way low. They may be leaking and you might now ever know it, just not enough to lower the oil pressure too much. Don't worry about it, but if you go back in there, I'd reccomend putting some on. I'm pretty sure I put RTV on mine, but not positive.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

i didn't put any on my spacers. no problems here. i will probably put some on if i go back in there for some reason though. better to be safe
Old 03-03-2004, 01:22 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

thanks guys. i still have nightmares about rippin out the steerin pump and rack
Old 03-03-2004, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

I know when I installed mine I put rtv on the spacer that has the oil galley. I was just playing the better safe than sorry card there. I have heard of many that didnt and many that have. I just didnt want to have to go back into my motor again for something I could prevent with a little bit of time.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it was my thread that you read, but I put RTV on the spacer with the oil hole in it. I had to take that thing apart agian, so I figured that was going to be the last time. I put a very small amount on both sides of the spacer and put it on without the oil pump to see where it would squish out.I cleaned out all that went into the oil hole. I then installed the o-ring and attached the oil pump to the pick-up. (Prior to all this I removed the screws on the front of the oil pump and took out the planetary gear thingy so it would go over the crank easier. It made install super easy. I got that tip from another guy online.) I bolted the oil pump on making sure the spacer with the hole and RTV didn't move. Worked great. Took 15 minutes. I didn't put the rest back together for a few hours, so I know the RTV was set good.