Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam selection - L33, T56, 3.90 gears, road course action

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam selection - L33, T56, 3.90 gears, road course action

I'm in the process of freshening up an L33 to put into my '99 M3. With that comes the cam selection. It seems like everyone goes with an LS6 cam, but I would think that a little more cam might be a great thing.

The car will be a street driven car.
Has AC
6 Speed car
3.90 gears - can't get any lower with the BMW carrier.
The car will see triple duty Auto-X, Track Days, Street duty.
The L33 will be stock except for the rod bolts - ARP hardware.
I like a lopey idle.
I also have an awesome tuner.

I was thinking something a bit more then the LS6 but not too radical. After all it is a small cube motor.

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I don't think you'll benefit from any more than an LS6 cam. There just isn't the volume of air available from the L33. If anything, maybe a cam w/ a bit more duration than the LS6 cam, but, that's about it. Check your PTV clearance if you do this.

Again, this is an opinion based on what I've measured on an LS1/LS6 block through various H/C/I arrangements & then referencing it to your L33. Too big of a CAM & you may lose low end.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

That was the kind of answer I was looking for!

I was thinking with the 799 heads that I'd be able to get a little more cam in the motor due to their flow. I am not too worried about the bottom end as the car has a total lack of traction even with the stock motor, need the power from about 2500 up.

Have a link to your 944?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Have it spec'd
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL.. Doing the same.. But to my 944... turbo shell. Not much Porsche left in there. Selling the 16V 3.0 liter 4cyl (Motor in pic) and going to my L33 project. You are right on.. These guys are used to huge heavy cars. Our cars are light. Mine is ridiculously light. 2300lbs wet before full fiberglass install. I could care less about torque down low because i can't keep the tires from spinning with the old turbo motor. I need top end power, and I think you should go for as large a cam as your budget will allow. From the L33 your heads are indeed LS6 castings, but the valve train is weak. Upgrading the cam means upgrading everything else. Be prepared. I still say as large as your budget will allow Something like a Tsunami from TSP.. complete package is $650. Or a milder Torquer V2. less than $600. BUT.. it's hard to beat a used LS6 cam and matching springs for $200 If you're just not up to truly making a strong cam change and your budget leaves only a little room.

Take heade in advice here. They're not quite used to a bigger top end way of thinking at the loss of the bottom end (granted some are) and they shouldn't be because of their cars. Yours is over 500lbs lighter or more depending on your options and year.. . Just my .02..

Here's a look at the 944. I'm fabbing up a new (worn out used.. ) front end I just bought for next to nothing from an old 968 daytona / Sebring racer. It will be completely refinished to its original glory.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-17-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 with the torquer V2. I've got one in my silvila with L33 and T-56. Good for about 370hp to the ground and comes on around 3000k, maybe a little less. If you cut a good 60', you'll go 11's in the 1/4 real easy, but with the right gear, would make an awsome track car. That cam is bolt in and go by the way, no clearance issues or anything. Go with an LS6 intake or fast 90 and you'll be good to go.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95ONE
LoL.. Doing the same.. But to my 944... turbo shell. Not much Porsche left in there. Selling the 16V 3.0 liter 4cyl (Motor in pic) and going to my L33 project. You are right on.. These guys are used to huge heavy cars. Our cars are light. Mine is ridiculously light. 2300lbs wet before full fiberglass install. I could care less about torque down low because i can't keep the tires from spinning with the old turbo motor. I need top end power, and I think you should go for as large a cam as your budget will allow. From the L33 your heads are indeed LS6 castings, but the valve train is weak. Upgrading the cam means upgrading everything else. Be prepared. I still say as large as your budget will allow Something like a Tsunami from TSP.. complete package is $650. Or a milder Torquer V2. less than $600. BUT.. it's hard to beat a used LS6 cam and matching springs for $200 If you're just not up to truly making a strong cam change and your budget leaves only a little room.

Take heade in advice here. They're not quite used to a bigger top end way of thinking at the loss of the bottom end (granted some are) and they shouldn't be because of their cars. Yours is over 500lbs lighter or more depending on your options and year.. . Just my .02..

Here's a look at the 944. I'm fabbing up a new (worn out used.. ) front end I just bought for next to nothing from an old 968 daytona / Sebring racer. It will be completely refinished to its original glory.

Very nice 944!

I am use to having stump pulling torque with my Pontiac V8s, but I'm also used to not having ANY bottom end with my 4cyl turbo cars. So a lack of bottom end with a V8 isn't anywhere near as bad as the turbo lag of a 4 cyl. I'm NOT worried.

Agreed the L33 valve train is weak! A cam package is for sure the way to go. I'll take a look at those cams in a bit more detail and see what's up. The Tsunami looks to be a bit more cam then I was going to go with. I wonder if anyone has put one into a 5.3/L33?

Quick Reply: Cam selection - L33, T56, 3.90 gears, road course action