Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Valve - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dropped Valve - Need help

Well just this past sunday I bought back my 99 Z28 that I sold about 2.5 years ago. Drove the car back home about 2.5 hours and the car drove fine. Got within about 4 miles of my house and the car started to buck and sputter and then shut off and wouldnt start. Got the valve covers off and saw that it had dropped a valve on the passenger side head. Although the spring didnt break. I havent taken the head off, but there were some gold shavings on top of the head and under the valve cover. What do you guys think? Does this normally mean I'm going to need a new shortblock and head? What would normally be salvagable?

I wanna call this guy back up and ask for some money. Seems like a really nice guy, but I mean come on for the car to drop a valve on my way home from picking the damn thing up! I didnt even get on it once. It broke around 2,500 rpm shifting from 2-3.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

It sounds like that the car jumped the timing chain, until you take the heads off you won;t know the true extent of the damage, At this point you have at least one bent valve and the head is going to have to come off anyway.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

You're most likely going to need a new piston. Hopefully the cylinder walls are okay. The head will be beat. You're not going to know the extent of the damage until you take the head off. Good like trying to get some money back. If the car was sold to you in good running condition and had no known problems before it was sold I would tell you to go pound sand.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess I won't know until I tear the motor down, but I did have a heat treated double roller timing chain.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When buying a car its a stop sign guarrentee, unless you have it in writing your fucked. The prev owner may out of the kindness of his own heart help you out but legally you have no leg to stand on.

Most likely you fragged a piston and maybe more.

Tough luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To know for sure, you have to tear it down completely.. I have 2 spring failures, and its all bad.. First time, the piston and rod were completely destroyed!!! The second time, the head of the valve got driven sideways back into its seat, and beat the piston, and scratched the walls a little bit.

You wont know what your in for until its all apart.