Sponsored by:

Find specs on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Find specs on a cam

So my car came with a cam installed in it already and you can hear the choppy idle from it. I am in the process of building a procharger kit for it and was wondering if this cam will work very well with it. I could easily check the lobe separation which would be a good indicator. I have degreed in a cam before on a sbc many years ago. I'd assume the process is essentially the same. However I'd like to actually figure out the duration specs etc... Is there a procedure somewhere, or someone that could tell me how to do it?

I'm pretty sure i already know how, but want to make sure i am checking it correctly. I will probably run this cam anyway, but then i will know if i need to change it out later on or not. The guy ran nitrous on the car, are nitrous cams very similar to superchager cams with little overlap and larger lobe separation? (i don't know much about nitrous setups, hoping the cam will work for me).
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you can pull it out and Cam Doctor it. Thats a tool that spins the cam and tell you what it is. As for doing it without pulling it out I don't think you really can. Maybe pull the timing gear off and see what is written on the front of the cam? Still at that point just pull it
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

If you're gonna take the time to pull it and check, just pay $250-$400 for a used/new cam and KNOW that it will be the right setup
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by supersick99z
If you're gonna take the time to pull it and check, just pay $250-$400 for a used/new cam and KNOW that it will be the right setup
agreed
Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

with letters and numbers on cam end, you should be able to have someone help you identify cam specs and if it good for your combo, cheaper to go with what you got. if it wont work, u will have specs to put up for sale to buy good cam for your goals. keep us posted and good luck with your project, rob.