Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Thumpr Cam w/ stock converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp Thumpr Cam w/ stock converter

I am going to install a cam in my LS1 this winter and i have been considering Comps Thumpr cam. I am wondering how well it works with a stock converter? I have read on comp that it works fine with the stock converter, but i wanted to hear from someone who has actually performed the change or knows about it.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njmaster
I am going to install a cam in my LS1 this winter and i have been considering Comps Thumpr cam. I am wondering how well it works with a stock converter? I have read on comp that it works fine with the stock converter, but i wanted to hear from someone who has actually performed the change or knows about it.
i wouldn't waste my time putting a thumper in my LS...CALL up Texas Speed and Performance, tell them your goals and they will hook you up... also dont bother with a cam swap if your not going to change your stall
Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

comp cam 54-455-11 mite work with a stock stall.look at TSP 224r 114 lsa or a thunder racing tr224 114 lsa.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Resident

I think I'd change that stall before anything else. Itll run worse with the cam and no stall than it does now, even if you did go with a good grind. The Thumpr series is just what is says. Thump. Thats about it. They make more power than stock sure but they have about 10 degrees too much exhaust duration. Makes for a really inefficient noise cam. Just go 224R and get the rumble and the go. After the converter of course
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
I think I'd change that stall before anything else. Itll run worse with the cam and no stall than it does now, even if you did go with a good grind. The Thumpr series is just what is says. Thump. Thats about it. They make more power than stock sure but they have about 10 degrees too much exhaust duration. Makes for a really inefficient noise cam. Just go 224R and get the rumble and the go. After the converter of course
2X...a higher stall will only compliment any other engine mods. Even with a stock long block I would strongly consider a higher stall.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely do a stall before or with the cam swap. I ran a medium size cam in my Lt1 with a stock stall cause I tried to cheap out and it ran like crap...very sluggish.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:15 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car will run worse with a cam and no stall versus the stall and stock cam. Prioritize with future modifications and your budget in mind.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I see a lot of talk on here about the thumpr cams. I want to see some actual proof that they don't work. You may have your opinions and that is fine, but don't state it as fact when you have never seen any tests or results to justify your statement.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I see a lot of talk on here about the thumpr cams. I want to see some actual proof that they don't work. You may have your opinions and that is fine, but don't state it as fact when you have never seen any tests or results to justify your statement.
Amen! There are lots of internet bullies trashing parts w/o proof, just repeating the mantra. There's a guy on here running 12's with a 5.3 in a 1/2 ton truck using a Thumper...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
well, we are drawing conclusions BASED of actual fact. Wanna hear our facts? We have no less then half a dozen vendors here that design, dyno test, and stake their reputations on their cams.....some of the smartest guys in the industry I'm sure. The cams they are working with are no doubt top notch. Now let's move to the Thumpers.....they are a marketed line of camshafts. Did we need more camshafts on the market? Probably not. Did we have a line of camshafts directly aimed at bringing the old school sound to the newer motors? Nope on that account either. So, these cams fill a niche. That's the nature of business, to create something that your competitors do not have. Does this "old school sound" come at a price? Of course it does. If it didn't, every top notch performance cam would have the old school sound. So, the conclusion is, when we say they aren't optimum, we aren't talking out of our ***. But, do they have a market? Absolutely so I think.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
well, we are drawing conclusions BASED of actual fact. Wanna hear our facts? We have no less then half a dozen vendors here that design, dyno test, and stake their reputations on their cams.....some of the smartest guys in the industry I'm sure. The cams they are working with are no doubt top notch. Now let's move to the Thumpers.....they are a marketed line of camshafts. Did we need more camshafts on the market? Probably not. Did we have a line of camshafts directly aimed at bringing the old school sound to the newer motors? Nope on that account either. So, these cams fill a niche. That's the nature of business, to create something that your competitors do not have. Does this "old school sound" come at a price? Of course it does. If it didn't, every top notch performance cam would have the old school sound. So, the conclusion is, when we say they aren't optimum, we aren't talking out of our ***. But, do they have a market? Absolutely so I think.
Sounds like more of the same to me.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Look its this simple. The thumper cams are much better than stock sure. Is their primary purpose to make power? I think not, their primary purpose is in the name....to "thump". If the OP would like a Thumper cam more power to him I would love to see the results from it. However, in the sense of trying to be helpful to a fellow LS1 owner I would first suggest to him that he install a torque converter with a higher stall. After that with the plans for a cam I would advise to look into some more proven cams before settling in on a thumper cam. From there If thumper is where the interest lies then slap it in and tell us how it does!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
i wouldn't waste my time putting a thumper in my LS...CALL up Texas Speed and Performance, tell them your goals and they will hook you up... also dont bother with a cam swap if your not going to change your stall
I agree, I would give TSP a call and see what they can setup up with.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then again, not everyone here is looking for the last 1/10 of HP they can get (even though it may seem so). Some are concerned with sound (just check some of the threads in the "Gen III External" section) and some are looking for the "whole package" effect. Some need to run 10's, others are happy with 14's. Cams are like people's personalities, what works for one won't necessarily work for others...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Then again, not everyone here is looking for the last 1/10 of HP they can get (even though it may seem so). Some are concerned with sound (just check some of the threads in the "Gen III External" section) and some are looking for the "whole package" effect. Some need to run 10's, others are happy with 14's. Cams are like people's personalities, what works for one won't necessarily work for others...
That doesn't make sense. You can have good sound, good drivability, and a well performing package. This is what about 10 people have said already pretty much. Why throw in a "thumper cam" when you can put in a good priced cam kit from texas speed that is dyno proven to run good and sound good. And you should not put in a cam without a stall in an auto. I have PERSONAL experience with this. My last z28 had a 222ish cam on stock stall and it pulled throught the brakes and didn't run any better than before. This information is getting spread because it's right.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I completely agree and this is exactly my point. If thats what he wants then by all means go for it. If he does decide to go with a thumper though a stall is a must just so the thing is driveable.....All i was saying was in case the OP was unaware there are also a lot of other cams that will make more power and sound just as aggressive.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Default @01ssreeda4

Speedtigger and s10xgn are right.... Your a ***, and a smart ***
You think you know what your talking about lol (" we have the
Smartest techs here") lol shut your mouth. I been runnin thumpr since it came out, got one in my nova now 279 with no stall and pushrods lifters heads springs
And rockers to match! I get more girls and turn more heads and my car
Dynos perfectly.. So listen and stop being a bully/hater nerd and
And try and help people instead of being stupid....
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
LOL~!

OP...Don't be swayed if that's what you're aiming for. Everyone said I needed a stall to complement my cam. Well...I say bs after three years without. You just need to pick right, and do your homework. Some of the most fun I've ever had was a baby cammed ls1 with STOCK stall. Why? Because the factory converter feels great when cammed up properly and tuned. Strong and postive shifts and great low/mid range torque (no cooler, no worries). On the streets, a baby cammed ls1 with stock stall is actually a god sent if you get it right. For maximum et, a high stall tc is the way to go, for better than stock et and driveabilty (and no trans mods or coolers), just go with a cheater cam or "old man" (or mild) cam and be done. They said on here I wouldn't be happy, I say my face hurts from the smile . Against the grain, hence the name . Or just do what everyone else does . Also btw, if you're going with a stall try PTC . You can make a ride fit anyone's bill and desires, and there is most certainly more than one way to skin a dick, or cat. Want to know more?...

**** the flame suit, I can take the heat. Just remember, you may not et what they do...but you'll have no issues on the street. You also won't be buying a new 60le anytime soon with a baby cam and stock (or close to) rpm limits/shift points, and you won't HAVE to run stickies. Just an idea to play with...try it out. If you don't like it, stall it up. Try a 212/218 hi lift comp cam with a 114 lsa for starters, tune it, drive it, believe it. It's not unheard of in Aussie land (with no "stally"), but then again they don't know what they're talking about lol .
Stall it once your trans dies (won't be due to being cammed either btw) and get what you want once your trans is built properly. You can stall any car to fit any cam...so don't think you absoltuely NEED to stall first. It really depends on what you're going for. For example, some guys want to run a setup on stock manifolds, will it make the most power? Probably not, but will it fit the bill and run hard, certainly...if thought out. There are some real fast ls cars running stock manifolds that found a way, it depends on what you want. IF you want fastest traps, best et, and all that...go with a good PTC converter, 1 3/4 headers, sticky tires, and maybe start saving up for a 12 bolt/9 inch. If you want to have fun and try something different, do it! You have to admire those rides that just seem to impress with no explanation. Good luck either way .

Last edited by oddwraith; 03-19-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bgrizzly27
Speedtigger and s10xgn are right.... Your a ***, and a smart ***
You think you know what your talking about lol (" we have the
Smartest techs here") lol shut your mouth. I been runnin thumpr since it came out, got one in my nova now 279 with no stall and pushrods lifters heads springs
And rockers to match! I get more girls and turn more heads and my car
Dynos perfectly.. So listen and stop being a bully/hater nerd and
And try and help people instead of being stupid....
Wow! Bashing a moderator. Not smart. Also please don't answer posts with your Negro retoric. Nobody said anything about getting girls. This was a post about a cam. Keep it about that
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, ouch. Not the best way to go about things, agreed.

Last edited by oddwraith; 03-19-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Comp Thumpr Cam w/ stock converter