Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine swap questions

Hey everyone! New to this forum. Been over on corvette forum for a little over a year now. Came here to get some more insight.

My engine locked up on me last thursday when I was just cruising up my street and went to put the clutch in. After finally getting it started the oil pressure was 19 at idle and dropped to 0 after about 20 seconds. Drained the oil and looked in the oil filter. There is metal shaving all over the place.

Specs on current motor: LS1, small cam, upgraded push rods and springs. tuned about 5 months ago putting down 388 hp at the wheel.

I have decided that I want to pull this motor and swap in an LS2 or LS3. Which one is the better/easier route to take? I have found a guy with an LS2 long block. 4k miles on it. I also have found someone with a LS3 with a small cam and upgraded valve springs to match. 19k miles on that one. I will be upgrading to the LS7 clutch and flywheel while the motor is out. I know with the LS3 I will need the matching LS3 intake, fuel rails, injectors, and an LS2 throttle body. On the LS2 I here I can just simply swap on my LS6 intake manifold and everything including the port and polished LS1 throttle body.

Which route would you guys take? I'm leaning towards the Cammed LS3 since I am power hungry. I think the stock LS2 hooked up to my exhaust and intake would yeild similar hp numbers at the wheels as my cammed LS1.

The car is my daily driver however.

If anyone has done any of these swaps what all is involved? Lingenfelter reluctor, knock sensor adapter?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With the LS2 You'll neeed to extend the 3 wires for the cam sensor to the timing cover as the semsor is in the timing cover and switch the 2 outside wires just swap them and for that part You should be good to go .