Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wanting some input

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanting some input

I have a 1998 Z28 from what I was told its all stock. Then I added LT and an air lid. The engine has 173,xxx miles on it. It runs strong doesn't miss a beat at all. This car I've had since August of last year. And maybe put 1000 miles on it. I want to do some mild mods for now nothing too major. For now heads, cams, gaskets etc. I'm just thinking its had to of have had rings and bearings replaced at some point. Or has anyone ever had an ls1 go this many miles without any problems? It traded hands a few times and has some flaws but it's a project car. It had drag radials on the back so I can tell its been run hard too. Just looking for input or advice
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you aren't having any oil consumption or pressure issues reasons I don't see any reason to rebuild it right now unless you really want to. If it were me and it didn't use oil and had good pressure I would hesitate to put heads and a cam in and run it. The only time I would rebuild is if it had issues is all I am saying...another thing worth mentioning is that 97-98 ls1s had the "worst" of everything since it was the infant years of the engine, I have one too, the rod bolts, oil pump, etc are all first designs which GM eventually redesigned better down the road. That being said any ls1 is still way strong. After reading some of the tests the ls1 had to go through I am a firm believer in their longevity (especially a factory motor) GM ran mule motors at WOT for 24 hours a day 30 days straight! That's crazy! That's why LS engines are king!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Yeah I was thinking of replacing the oil pan gasket maybe next winter or of it starts to get really bad. Since that gasket is suck *** doing then at the same time doing a new oil pump and katech rod bolts too. Then for heads I'd do a head and can swap with new lifters and probably push rods just to be safe.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yea def a good move...broken lifters can ruin the motor...also hardened pushrods are a must with a cam and valvespring swap...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

where are you located? got pics? welcome to the site
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah can't skip out on things like that. I'm in central Illinois. Thanks. I'll have to upload them later. It's rough around the edges for sure. Seen the winter salt and a lot of it It's all fix able nothing bad well bad end has been bumped. Car is staight drives great not like all over the place. I've got a lot of work I wanna do might take a few years but it'll be worth it. Plus it's a Camaro not like parts are that hard to find. I do think the trans might not make it past 200k shifts fine but if I mess around in lower gears manually I have to let off to have it shift if I don't got past 5K rpm. But I want to do a a4-m6 swap anyways. I mean I didn't pay over 5k for the car. It's the mystic teal met. Tan leather. Stock 3.23 gears without traction control. Mine is a little bit more handful then my dads 02 z28 a4 with tc and 2.72 gears.