Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scored a complete lq4 for 140 bucks now what!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scored a complete lq4 for 140 bucks now what!

So I stopped in at my local "U Pull It" No its not a gay bar! but I did score a 99 lq4 complete from top to bottom.. First off, I have the engine disassembled and the block and crank are already at the machine shop. I am actually wondering if the heads I pulled off this beast are worth anything. This was a 99-2000 truck so it came with the cast iron heads. The place I purchased the engine listed the engine as bad but the tranny as good so i was worried.. I spun it over several times with no issues. Then when disassembling the engine I had my fingers crossed the entire time expecting a bad main or rod bearing. Well she came apart with all bearings in like new condition which had me gigglin like a school girl :-) Just thought i'd pass on my good luck story.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gratz man. Sounds like an excellent candidate for a great build!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a set of used ls2/lq9 rods/pistons and send them off to machine shop for balancing. Get new bearings/piston rings, and install it all yourself. Should have a nice/refreshed 6.0 with flat top pistons for under $800. Sell the heads as scrap, and sell anything else on the engine you don't need to swap over (oil pan, valve covers, valley cover, timing cover, rear cover, old piston/rods etc.).

Whoops, just reread and I see it's an 99-00 engine. check to make sure you don't have the longer crank, cause you'll run into problems trying to install a tranny with that longer crank. If you do....keep you're eye out for a good used crank, they are all basically the same from 5.3-up.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys .... I am aware of the longer snout and know this can't be bolted to a 4l60e without a housing extension.. while i was up there i grabbed the 4l80e and transfer-case that was in the truck for anther 175 bucks for the both.. this engine is getting two 66MM chargers put on it and yeah the heads i figured were junk.. Two chargers of that size would rip a 60e in half.. I hate those I've built them and don't like them! Even after getting them to hold 500hp they don't last long.. as far as the rods and pistons I'm thinking diamond pistons and Manley rods.. the stock crank is getting cryoed to improve the polished finish of the crank and add some rigidity I'm aiming for 900rwhp.. when i'm done building the 4l80e it should hold to 1100-1200 rwhp
Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

So this motor is getting twin turbos? You should definitely a custom turbo cam and a nice set of high flowing heads