Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have a random misfire read this !!!! This could help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post If you have a random misfire read this !!!! This could help.

I really hope they post this as a sticky . I've post about 5 posts on here about random misfire, but no one really could ever give me a strait answer so I did hours on hours of research to see common problems with camaros 02 to be specific . Now this isn't everything so If any one wants to add feel free we really need to help ppl with this issue because it ended up taking me over a year and half to find the issue , money had a lot to do with it .

Ok sooo .. if your tight on money like I was and still sorta am and you have a random misfire read this!

when you drive down the road and your ses light flashes but doesn't stay on thats typically a catastrophic misfire stating that you could damage your cats if you don't get it fixed. As soon as you can get it looked at scanned .

I'm very fortunate that I have buddys that have shops and 6k scanners , we hooked up my car and found out that one is misfiring the most but the other were too 6,8 was right behind it .

so we looked at the coils first and had a few that were showing bad , was planning on replacing all of them so I went on and upgraded to the ls2 head sink one still same issue . Found out there's a fretting issue on the fuel injectors .Sooo I ended up buying some dielectric grease cleaned the injector connectors up and greased them up along with other connectors since i was already there it helped ,but not liked I hopped . I kept asking on here with no real answer , there's no real how to guide on this just have to go step by step and hope you find it.

One day one of my friends told me have you done a compression test and I for some reason never thought of doing one. Say the least that was the best advice I was told .

The weird part is that when I got done with the compression test cylinder one is fine , but shows the worst misfire , means a fuel injector is bad , and 4 6 8 had oil on the plugs and the test also said blown head gasket . So finally after a year and half later finally found the issue behind it . Grab yourself or borrow a tester because most places charge 150 or more to do one .

So all in all if you have this problem
1. Get it scanned that will tell you a whole lot right off the bat
2. Replace fuel filter and plugs and wire if you haven't done so I do suggest replacing the filter ever 6 months to a year and clean out your system at least once a year with the real stuff where the plug directly to your rail.
3.check for any leaks especially one your intake mani use carb cleaner and spray it ever where is your engine changes then that could be a culprit
4. Make sure all of your vacuum lines are good replace as needed
5. check all your grounds I ended having to replace my pos and neg terminals that were so corroded.
6. Do a compression test this will tell you a whole lot and eliminate a lot at once
7. other issues could be some sensors like your crank and camshaft sensors

Now this doesn't have to be done in any sort of order but this is the cheapest way in my opinion. Now if any one has other things to add please please feel free . I hope this was informative and will be posting more as soon as I can
Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soo, it was a blown headgasket?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

well combination of the 2 bad injector on driver side is the main cause and blown head gasket on passenger side
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I work 4 Myself part time doing auto repair of all sorts and I subscribe to motor mag and motor age mag and I read them and have been getting them 4 about 4 years now and according to them an oscilloscope is by far the best way to diagnose just about any problem with ignition and/or fuel delivery and although I have'nt ever used 1 4 that it definately makes sense and saves alot of time and guess work . Anyway I know most poeple don't have access 2 1 but there are small ones a little larger than a DMM or VOM that are pretty reasonably priced . Good luck
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

this was for ppl that are on a tight budget, some things were ment for just general maintenance rubber houses go bad as you know , i don't know how much the osc runs though

Quick Reply: If you have a random misfire read this !!!! This could help.