Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with the details on a ls1 Head/cam setup please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM
BTM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the details on a ls1 Head/cam setup please.

I need some help putting together a nice engine setup for my build. the engine is going to be going into a S13 Nissan 240sx. the engine will be mounted fairly stiff, and the suspension on the car will be fairly stiff as well. i am wanting an engine setup that will provide 450+/- na whp. i want a cam that will provide good top end power. im not so worried about low end power, because the car is so light that it should not have a problem with that trade off. the car will be street driven, but is not expected to have incredible street manors. i want it to be rowdy, but tolerable.

i am going to place my parts order with texas speed, because my engine machine shop deals through them. from looking on their site, and from researching i have decided to go with a heads/cam package through them. i have my eye on the PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads, and i think a ms3 cam will suit me.

with the package there are some parts options, which is where i need some help.

springs - the package comes standard with prc .650 springs, but can be upgraded to .675. is the upgrade necessary, worth it, or both? i dont mind spending an extra $60.

LSA - im open to recommendations for this, given the info i provided.

push rod length - im just plain not sure what length i would need. i would think factory, but im a bit lost.

timing chain set - ill need one, but im not sure what to get from their options.

oil pump - ill need one, but again, im not sure what to get from the options.

on top of those parts, i plan to get a set of LS7 lifters, comp cams trunion upgrade, and bolts and gaskets that i will need to assemble the engine.

im in need of advise and help, and thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

According to the Texas Speed website "The Magic Stick camshafts require a high quality double spring kit such as the PRC .650" & .675" double spring kits." The PRC .650" spring has an open spring pressure of 450 pounds, while the PRC .675" spring has an open spring pressure of 471 pounds. Assuming that Texas Speed's recommendation is literally correct and the minimum acceptable open spring pressure for that cam is 450 pounds you would need to run some aftermarket rockers. If however, that cam can actually be controlled with valve springs with about 400 pounds of open spring pressure, e.g. Comp 921s or Comp 925s, you could get by with trunnion-upgraded oem rockers.