Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Any Ideas??? Engine wont start Just makes a nasty starter Sound!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please Help Any Ideas??? Engine wont start Just makes a nasty starter Sound!!!

Thanks In Advanced!
So i went out drag racing tonight, and a knocking noise went off in the block near the.valve cover passanger side...i tried driving it home nice since we figured it wanst a rod...aboit 5 miles from home it made a really weird noise sounded like someone throw marbles inside my engine...so i pulled over and there was smoke that smelled like coolant coming frm the oil filler tube when i opened it...oil level in deep stick seemed a lil high ...the car was at normal.running temperature ....then wheb i went to start it again it wouldnt start would just make a bad noise like if i had a bad starter ...but i checed started and started is fine..any ideas of wat might have happened????
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

well you have a few options, me personally I would atleast pull your valve covers and see if you can see any visual damage..

check for broken springs, rockers, pushrods, lifters could be next but you'll have to take the heads off...

if you smell coolant you could have a blown head gasket?

what mods do you have? do you do your own work??
Old 05-21-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a thrown bearing or a rod. Either way you need to take off the valve covers and oil pan and check everything.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yes it sucks, but before i started my build on my car I was out playing around and ended up hurting my engine and was hearing a metal clanking sound..

I drove for 2 days like that thinking it would go away and it would come and go... I took the valve covers off and one pushrod was bent into an L shape and shaking around in there because i broke a rocker head off.

So whatever it is you'll need to start doing investigating and if you have to take your engine apart then oh well that's how it goes... it might be an easy fix..

I've learned the guessing game on engines doesn't pay off at all, yeah you might get it up and running but then it goes Kaboom!!! a week later..
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO It is time for a teardown.

What you were probably hearing is piston to valve kissing, and then one of your valves dropping/getting destroyed.

If i were you i would be making sure there is not a million metal fragments currently in your oil ruining your bearings and continuing to destroy the motor completely inside out. Just because you do not hear metal on metal anymore does not mean it fixed itself - although i wish that was how it worked. Anytime you hear metal on metal under your hood should you never drive it/run it/crank it assuming it is nothing. You should drain the oil immediately while it is hot and check for metal fragments with a magnet in your pan along with a visual inspection of your oil filter. Next i would be pulling valve covers to inspect the valvetrain, and last i would be pulling the heads off to see what damage has been be done to pistons, piston skirts/side walls, valves, and valve guides.

If your coolant has a milky haze to it, you're due for a new block/rebuild - that is coolant inside your oil and that will cause bearings to overheat/fail in no time. How it got there could be anything from a defect in the block to metal on metal puncture to a blown gasket - anything is possible.

Keep us updated!