Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Hot Cam use these days

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Hot Cam use these days

This cam has been cursed & belittled seems like forever. If it's so bad, why does GM continue to use it? I've read up on it on a few posts, & the people who have one get descent track times seem to love it. Just curious. Not trying to start a forum riot over this.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It comes down to that there is just better stuff out, simple as that,
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Captain Double Post

And why go threw all the hassle of a cam swap and not put in something that is just alot better, hotcam is a great cam in its day but there are just many better options,
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
It comes down to that there is just better stuff out, simple as that,
The term "better" has too broad a definition to toss it around like this. What is better for a given application depends on the car's intended use and owner's priorities. And it's a fact that everything is a compromise.

The GM hot cam gives up some net power in exchange for less valvetrain stress. That's the design compromise. It makes great power in the midrange but gives up power at high revs. And it's sourced through a mass production supply chain, so it costs less than smaller-volume aftermarket parts.

If these are your priorities, it's a good choice.

If the car's owner has different priorities, wants more power and doesn't mind spending a little more $$ and changing valvesprings more frequently, it's true that there are better choices.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

And why go threw all the hassle of a cam swap and not put in something that is just alot better, hotcam is a great cam in its day but there are just many better options,
See above. You have no way of knowing the guy's priorities or how he intends to use the car.

Therefore, making this statement (and with spelling and grammar that wouldn't pass the 6th grade) only reveals your lack of knowledge on the subject matter at hand.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ahh, the eternal dilemma!
It is all just a matter of basics. Most male genders are hardwired to think that if their "shlong" is bigger, they will have or make better sex.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep not everybody wants or needs the newest Donkey Dick sized cam with a cool name that they saw on Teh intrawebz. The hot cam and the ASA cam are both good choices to make more power on the cheap and they are mild enough not to require machining the heads to accept a double spring. Keep in mind also that not everybody drag races. Their are some road race classes that allow a cam change but require homologation so the cam must be from the OEM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
Yep not everybody wants or needs the newest Donkey Dick sized cam with a cool name that they saw on Teh intrawebz. The hot cam and the ASA cam are both good choices to make more power on the cheap and they are mild enough not to require machining the heads to accept a double spring. Keep in mind also that not everybody drag races. Their are some road race classes that allow a cam change but require homologation so the cam must be from the OEM.
Most todays duals are drop in and do not require any machining.
These are LS heads not SBC
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

I agree, there are different applications out there to suite a variety of folks. Not everyone needs or wants a wild MS4 camshaft. Besides some of the bigger cams compromise drivability and risk emissions.

These GM cams and the "Smaller" cams are designed to give the owner a few extra ponies to their stock vehicle. Alot of high duration, high lift cams usually require deep gears, good intake, and headers to really perform.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been in since 2003. Made 381/373 on stock heads. Peak torque at 5000 rpm peak horespower at 5950. I liked that it was easy on springs and I did not have to spin the hell out of the engine to get soemthing out of it. I haven't been to the dragstrip since 2005. I mostly just drive the car for enjoyment, and like having the extra power. It has fit my purposes.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Most todays duals are drop in and do not require any machining.
These are LS heads not SBC
Shut up!

Now you are letting everyone know I'm an old guy.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shut up!

Now you are letting everyone know I'm an old guy.
Takes one to know one
Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your not old, your still a young-buck!

Yeah, as far as max HP/TQ there's better cams available, but that not what the hot-cam was designed for.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Takes one to know one
Ah so you too know the pleasure of going to the you pull it yard seeking Chevy double hump "fuelie" heads with the 2.02 intake valves?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah so you too know the pleasure of going to the you pull it yard seeking Chevy double hump "fuelie" heads with the 2.02 intake valves?
Ahhh, those were the days !!!

Shoot, I do the same now looking for LS6 castings. I like lightweight valves , light springs, titanium this and that....etc...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Captain Double Post

Wow, ok my bad, really did i just get a grammer ticket, maybe i should of put imo,because really i still feel its outdated, was the **** back in the day but due to todays standards its not all the great/not saying that people haven't had good luck with it,also i wasnt saying screw a hot cam go with a donkey dick cam, and if you read some of my post you will know i have pointed more people in the other direction,and dont wanna pay for machine work for double springs??? Ok i see you are just stuck in the ls6/hotcam days, is it a good cam yes,crainhole i guess ya just needed a lil ego boost today,glad i could bump ya up a notch
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

yes,crainhole i guess ya just needed a lil ego boost today,glad i could bump ya up a notch
Actually, when I read your posts I feel like my IQ got bumped down a notch...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a big difference between a giant cam and a hotcam. If you want added performance and a smallish cam a tr224 kicks the **** out of a hotcam at all rpms, and is pretty small compared to what most people dd nowadays. Nothing wrong with a hotcam, but for the time and effort involved why not put something in you wont want to change in a year
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 460 Likes on 361 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would definetly go with the hotcam over the tr224. I think there are better cams out, but the 224 ain't one of them.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Da troof. My Katech LS6 with a hot cam has been super reliable on my road course track car. Puts out great power at 3K rpm where you need it coming out of the corners. Easy on valve springs and not super hard to tune.

Quick Reply: GM Hot Cam use these days