Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams Short-Travel LSX Hydraulic Roller Lifters, With Tie Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comp Cams Short-Travel LSX Hydraulic Roller Lifters, With Tie Bars

hey guys,, i came across a good deal on one of lifters set, part number Comp #15956-16, and i just want to get some feedback from those using them...i tried a search but didnt find much on them, most people are using morel,..now how's the quality on these lifters ,and how do they perform...what are the advantage of going this route other than being able to spin the motor at higher RPM's. thanks in advance for any input.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I'm running them as well as a handful of others. They're a relatively new concept (the short travel deal), but I think more and more people will start using them as time goes on. FWIW I did have one collapse on the dyno, but I installed a new pair and everything seems to be fine so far. See my build thread here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...stly-done.html
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im going with a mamofied top end, like you, and I guess ill give these lifters a try and see how it plays out....nice numbers by way the and it sucks to hear about the collapse lifter.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
I'm running them as well as a handful of others. They're a relatively new concept (the short travel deal), but I think more and more people will start using them as time goes on. FWIW I did have one collapse on the dyno, but I installed a new pair and everything seems to be fine so far. See my build thread here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...stly-done.html
hey man, thanks for the input...what did you set your preload to on those lifters?, and i read in your thread that you use 3 different push rod length? will i need to buy 3 sets of push rods as well? thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is only about .050" of total travel in these lifters. I set them in the .020-.025" range
Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by javier1730
hey man, thanks for the input...what did you set your preload to on those lifters?, and i read in your thread that you use 3 different push rod length? will i need to buy 3 sets of push rods as well? thanks
If you're running Mamofied heads like me, then your installed valve tip heights will vary and you'll need custom length pushrods, too. You won't know how many different lengths you'll need 'till you measure.

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
There is only about .050" of total travel in these lifters. I set them in the .020-.025" range
I'm running mine at .030" per Tony's instruction. I think he told me the total travel is .060" FYI.

EDIT: I remembered I'm actually running .040" preload. Due to thermal expansion of the motor, that translates to about .030" hot. Right in the middle of the range.

Last edited by Rickenbackerman; 06-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add that when you install them dry they should go in AND back out smoothly, with no hanging and no pressure needed other than gravity. Make sure they will go all the way down on the base circle.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
I will add that when you install them dry they should go in AND back out smoothly, with no hanging and no pressure needed other than gravity. Make sure they will go all the way down on the base circle.
did yours have a fitment problem?, i know these are coated and they are supposed to be like .002" thicker....also before install should i leave them dipped in oil over night?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you soak them you should dry fit them for sure. and I recommend that you dry fit every single one in every single cylinder. I did have issues, but rickenbackerman has shown they are solvable. I think both of our motors are on the tight side.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Short-Travel LSX Hydraulic Roller Lifters, With Tie Bars