Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 to 02 3.8 to ls5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 to 02 3.8 to ls5.3 swap

Ok i blew my 3.8 up found a motor and trans out of a tahoe full harness pcm and all for engine and tranny control.I have heard i will need and ls1 cross member is this true and my concern is the instrument cluster speedo tack ect.Really i need help on all of the wiring that needs to be done i have no problem with a standalone for the engine tranny. But as far as the speedo and all goes can anyone give me any advice has anyone done this swap and can tell me what im getting myself into because i have went into swaps blind before and don't much care for it.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Yes you will need an LS crossmember, I know for a fact. What I am not sure on though is the wiring...the interior harness is going to be different. This swap has been done before and I am sure that somewhere there is an electrical write up on this swap.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 AM

I've been doing alot of research about e-fans here and other sites and found most people are using the taurus fan.
But i've also see the contour dual fan and this looks like a much better swap and easier leaving more room in the engine bay .i'm in the middle of a 5.0l swap right now and looking into cooling options.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Ilitch
I've been doing alot of research about e-fans here and other sites and found most people are using the taurus fan.
But i've also see the contour dual fan and this looks like a much better swap and easier leaving more room in the engine bay .i'm in the middle of a 5.0l swap right now and looking into cooling options.
Say what?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DangerRanger85
Ok i blew my 3.8 up found a motor and trans out of a tahoe full harness pcm and all for engine and tranny control.I have heard i will need and ls1 cross member is this true and my concern is the instrument cluster speedo tack ect.Really i need help on all of the wiring that needs to be done i have no problem with a standalone for the engine tranny. But as far as the speedo and all goes can anyone give me any advice has anyone done this swap and can tell me what im getting myself into because i have went into swaps blind before and don't much care for it.

What year is your vehicle and what year is the engine/trans you are getting..

You need a engine k member, trans crossmember.. Ls1 driveshaft ( I would measure first)

Spend some time in the conversion section, v6 to v8 swaps are easy to find Info on
Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 PM

its out of a 01 1500 i know the vss sensor goes through the pcm and controls the speedo so thats what i am worried about the instrument cluster in genaral i just want my speedo to work ac an everything else is on the engine i might get.

Quick Reply: 98 to 02 3.8 to ls5.3 swap