Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace stock pistons with Mahle pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace stock pistons with Mahle pistons?

I have a 1998 Z-28 that I've owned since it was new. I am going to install the following new engine parts: GM hot cam, Edelbrock heads, Crane rocker arms, pushrods and valve lifters, FAST 92mm intake manifold and throttle body. My question is, is there anything to be gained by replacing the stock aluminum pistons with Mahle pistons? Thanks for your opinions.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Their pistons (mostly) are 4032 forgings, which is slightly better than stock. One perk is their flat-top piston has a decent valve relief in it so you can mill your heads, get some compression out of it, and still have plentiful piston to valve clearance with big camshafts!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The cast hypereutectic Mahle pistons have only 12% silicon so I would imagine that they would expand a little more than stock pistons ,,,,,,,,,,but maybe not ,,,,,,,,personally I would go with the Speed-Pro pistons ,,,,,,the cast hypereutectic 1's have 16% silicon which means You can bore to stock specifications 97-2004 the bore .002" larger than the piston skirt towards the bottom of the skirt ,,,,,,,,,2005 on .0007" larger than the piston skirt towards the bottom of the skirt . Whichever pistons You end up with ,,,,,,,weigh them and if any differences of more than a gram deal with it accordingly . I've got My piston, rod, ARP bolt and piston rings combo's all within 1/2 gram of 1 another ,,,,,,,,pretty easy to do .

Quick Reply: Replace stock pistons with Mahle pistons?