Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polluter cam which transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polluter cam which transmission

I have a 02 camaro with a polluter cam and it already has a t-56 but it's needing a rebuild real soon, is the polluter to big of a cam for a automatic tranny? My car already has 4.10s to help out a little but I want some good times at the track (1/4 mile) and I don't want to have to rebuild the tranny and then soon after that get a new rear end. I know I'll have to change the wiring harness, console and I'm not sure what else. Anyone's opinion on whether I should just stay m6 and rebuild my tranny then get a 12 bolt or get a 4l60e or 4l80e and let my 10 bolt survive a little longer.

Any suggestions are appriciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well a M6 is naturally going to have its work cut out for it, if your main goal is quick timeslips.

If you enjoy rowing gears then stay M6. If you want to swap an auto in I would personally go with the 80e. I think with the polluter you would want something in the 4k range as far as stall speed. I'm not an auto guy so I'm not positive.

With the M6 and 4.10's your 10-bolt is going to be the weakest link after your rebuild. The thing is, T-56 rebuilds are expensive compared to automatics which can usually be rebuilt for less, unless it's a catastrophic failure. A t-56 or 80e most likely would never need another rebuild on a h/c car if done right the first time.

If you can find an auto guy wanting to do a m6 swap local to you, sometimes they will just outright trade with you and you both can get what you want for next to nothing.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking of using the Polluter cam and I called PTC so they could recommend a converter. They recommended a 4k converter.

I DD my car a lot and I'm not too sure the polluter is going to be too good of an idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

running cam with 4l60e 3800 stall did break rear after 25k with track and street abuse
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sepsis
I was thinking of using the Polluter cam and I called PTC so they could recommend a converter. They recommended a 4k converter.

I DD my car a lot and I'm not too sure the polluter is going to be too good of an idea.
It's in the same area as my cam and I think it would get tiresome driving everyday. I love it just to cruise in, but I drive my car maybe 2-3 times a week at most and only in good weather.

If you have more cubic inches than stock those that of course is going to tame it a little.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02blckss
I have a 02 camaro with a polluter cam and it already has a t-56 but it's needing a rebuild real soon, is the polluter to big of a cam for a automatic tranny? My car already has 4.10s to help out a little but I want some good times at the track (1/4 mile) and I don't want to have to rebuild the tranny and then soon after that get a new rear end. I know I'll have to change the wiring harness, console and I'm not sure what else. Anyone's opinion on whether I should just stay m6 and rebuild my tranny then get a 12 bolt or get a 4l60e or 4l80e and let my 10 bolt survive a little longer.

Any suggestions are appriciated.
As 6speedZ said if you enjoy rowing your own gears you should stay with the M6. If you want to be faster at the track then go with the auto. For our polluter cam to get the most out of an auto set-up I'd want at least a 4000rpm stall if not a 4200-4400 stall. We can also build that T-56 of yours
Originally Posted by sepsis

If you'd like I can get you into one of our new "Street Heat" cams or a custom grind for the same price!

Quick Reply: Polluter cam which transmission