Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey all! first post here! Looking at comps 228/230, any suggestions for heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all! first post here! Looking at comps 228/230, any suggestions for heads?

first off, the car is a 2000 ws6, 6 speed with few mods, mostly suspension related. looking to add a cam and heads, but im a little dense when it comes to engine internals. From what ive read, the 228 is a pretty decent 'middle of the road' cam that will still be dependable and a decent set of heads to go with it. I was looking at cheap set of 225cc heads (64cc combustion chamber) on ebay but not sure.

Anyway im open to suggestions and would love to hear your input!

what id like to end up with is 500hp from the flywheel and still be able to drive across country without a hiccup. And im more of an autocross guy than a 1/4 mile guy. Thanks!

on a side note, i finally blew the stock rear, so im open to any suggestions there as well.

forgot a few things, the car has slp cat back, and i have LT's that need to be installed. also planning on fast 92mm everything up top.

Last edited by dbuddy1985; 08-27-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: accidentally linked a non sponsor, whoops.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To get to 500 crank hp you will either have to get a serious cam, which will effect driveability somewhat unless you got a good tuner....if I were you I would spend the money on some good heads (afr, mast, or trickflow) and go with the smaller combustion chamber bc the higher compression ratio will help you reach your goal and still run on premium pump gas...also the bigger fast will def benefit you if you go with the good heads...
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

interesting, if i could afford it i would just go with the trickflow 515 kit which comes with that cam and 215cc heads and all that other jazz. Do you think its possible to build a similar kit with a nice cam but cheaper heads? 3200 is a bit much for me to throw down at once especially considering i now need a new rear end lol

thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

You can get the TFS 515 kit for like $3200. I just got mine in last month and its process of being installed. Also got the FAST 102 and throttle body for some more flow.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

But I also saw a guy selling some TFS 215 heads in the Sales Threads. You might try to see if he still has them. I think he was selling them for $1800.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
To get to 500 crank hp you will either have to get a serious cam, which will effect driveability somewhat unless you got a good tuner....if I were you I would spend the money on some good heads (afr, mast, or trickflow) and go with the smaller combustion chamber bc the higher compression ratio will help you reach your goal and still run on premium pump gas...also the bigger fast will def benefit you if you go with the good heads...
500 crank hp is easy, that cam could do it without heads. 500 wheel hp would be difficult with that cam. I'd say you are on the right track. If 500 bhp is the goal, I wouldn't buy heads. Intake, headers, cam, and a good tune will get you real close. . . . . but enough is never enough. . . once you get a taste, you'll want a boosted stroker. lol
If you're gonna do it, talk your goals over with an educated person (patrickg) and have a cam spec'd for you. FWIW. I have a FAST 90, TFS215 heads and an FM11 cam (228/230). When I put everything together, I had it all spec'd the way I wanted it. . . . except the cam. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just think I could have done better with a custom grind.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

@mypoorls1 i know the taste u speak of lol. Alright then its settled (almost) ill skip the heads for now and just get the cam and intake and find a place that can tune it. know any good shops in shitty so cal?

texas speeds website has millions of options when selecting cam kits, any help there would be appreciated!

Last edited by dbuddy1985; 08-27-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mypoorLS1
500 crank hp is easy, that cam could do it without heads. 500 wheel hp would be difficult with that cam. I'd say you are on the right track. If 500 bhp is the goal, I wouldn't buy heads. Intake, headers, cam, and a good tune will get you real close. . . . . but enough is never enough. . . once you get a taste, you'll want a boosted stroker. lol
If you're gonna do it, talk your goals over with an educated person (patrickg) and have a cam spec'd for you. FWIW. I have a FAST 90, TFS215 heads and an FM11 cam (228/230). When I put everything together, I had it all spec'd the way I wanted it. . . . except the cam. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just think I could have done better with a custom grind.
I think he would have to go crazy on the cam to get there with "cam only" and even then...not a good driver on the street.

BTW...There is not a cam out there that will bump HP up over 100hp with stock heads.

I'm surprised about some of the expectations on here....

I have it all and skeptical about that much power.

I have a 228R/CNC LS6 Heads/LT/True duals/FAST intake NO emissions and I expect about 430hp at the tires...That is not much more than 500hp at the crank.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Teching In

agreed. my expectations are not at 500 flywheel with a cam and fast 90 setup, but its where id like to end up further down the road.

anyone recommend a full cam set up? as i said im not that knowlegeable when it comes to supporting mods. Id like to do something in the range of 228 to 232. so then i need rods, but what size? which LSA? (ive read what that is, but im still not sure of the difference between 111 and 112, 113 etc), lifters? springs? the list goes on lol thats the part I need help with.

any input would be awesome!
again, sorry for all the noob questions
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea if you were to make that kind of power at the crank on a cam only car then it really wouldn't be a daily driver due to the fact all the power is at the top of the rev range and the car would be lazy down low...If it's all abot the 500 number then yea you could do it with quality supporting mods...if you want a good all around performer you might only make 460hp but have more overall power under the curve...

I didn't realize you were on a budget (sound like me), I'm so used to seeing builds on here that cost $10k+ I just assumed...but the budget method is to get some 4-500 dollar ls6 heads and pick a cam around high .580-590 on the lift and match it to your m6/rear gear and have a blast...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 AM

if you go to google and search (hawks third gen parts) this website has alot of good information if you go through the parts for sale that are for you year model and make each part has statistics and explain the pros and cons i get most of my stuff from that website they have a good cam setup that bought its 700$ but man just that setup made my ls1 sound amazing and gave me alot of power its called (ms4 cam and it comes with double springs and pushrods its alot of work but if you use it the right way its worth the money heres the link http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...pring-Kit.html
Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 AM

iv got an 01 ss and im trying to get the most horsepower out of the ls1 as possible my holdup is my internals are all pretty old 90k beat miles on it so i have a few options referbish the block an custom build it from the ground up buy a new bottom half which is way faster and way easier but if i do that i wanna increase the size and im not sure which way to go they have a 347 all alum or a 370 iron block both with all brand new internals http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...Crate-Engines/ thats the link where i want to get it from or i could get the ls2 or ls3 its all so confusing because i have thousands of dollars in performans part all for my ls1 and i dont wanna have to rebuy all my parts again on top of that i really want to keep the car working with air conditioning and the same ecu ect so it a holdup for me doo u have any ideas? btw sry for the randomness couldnt figure out how to start my own post =/
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

I looked at the ms4, it looks a little intense for my needs. I really don't want anything bigger than 228 or 230. the ms3 looks a little more tame. still havent decided one way or another.

anyone know where i could get a good deal on ls6 heads? do they just bolt right up to an ls1? or are there any mods needed?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

You need to vocalize your car's use. "The most power possible" tells me your running an 1/4 or 1/8 mile only car.

If this is a daily driver, you can't get the most radical cam sold on the shelf.

If its an autocross car, you don't need the extra weight in the nose with an iron block.

Application is important...I know everyone wants the biggest Dik, but someone will always have more power Accept it and move on!). Build an engine that you can enjoy and use it the way you need it to. I can tell you first hand, a car that doesnt have good street manners is fun at first, but gets OLD QUICK!!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

exactly, and as ive stated i would like my car to be a mix between autox and street use. it is not my dd, but i would still like it to be very streetable. so i think ive decided on a 228 cam with supporting mods, (fast intake & tb, rods, springs lifters for now). small heads in the future, and always more suspension work.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how do you plan to deal with emissions ?some cnc Texas Speed heads with a 228r or a torquer v3 cam pkg mite meet your goals .AFR heads are smog legal.the ws6 store sells a head/cam combo for a good price.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PRC 5.3 heads. I made 470whp with them and an almost identical cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ld-470whp.html
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Teching In

@garygnu, awesome info ill look into those heads, are the texas speed heads not legal? I havent given emissions too much thought, my car is still registered in PA. In fact all my cars are, i've been living under the radar in so cal for around 5 years. only because im not sure that my truck or my car would pass emissions and registration fees are absurd.

@ls1t56ftfw, where did you get ur heads from? i was looking at those as an option as well
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

just checked out ws6 shops package and i love the price, just havent heard any reviews of it. anyone know anyone who has it?

this is what it comes with for under 2k:

GM LS6 Style Stage II Heads, heat treated, 5-axis valve job, bronze guides, and precision welded chambers (59cc or 64cc available - choose below)
Fully assembled valvetrain including stainless steel valves, "Gold" .650" dual springs, titanium retainers, super 7 locks, machined bases, and viton rubber seals.
Camshaft 225/229 duration
Harland Sharp Shaft Mounted Rockers available in 1.7 (adj. or non-adj.) or 1.8 (non-adj.) ratios (Choose below)
Includes new GM Head bolts.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This here should do it. http://texas-speed.com/p-1159-precis...m-package.aspx

I also love my eps 226-230 112lsa cam. Made good numbers for cam and headers only Ran good at the track with alot of wheel hop and spinning. After Geoff tuned it it drives like stock. Torque curve came in very early

Quick Reply: Hey all! first post here! Looking at comps 228/230, any suggestions for heads?