Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 SS M6 stalls on hard corners

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 SS M6 stalls on hard corners

Hello folks, I looked all over but cant find much on this. Last week I was on my way home from six flags and had to drop a friend off. After that with about an 1/8th tank my car was cutting out around hard corners. I put more gas in till about half a tank and no issues. I'm down to a 1/4 and if I really push corners it will cut out a sec then get back on. Does anyone know what might have changed? I am not ruling it out but it doesn't sound electrical because it stops with more gas in the tank. I know my car has a tank bucket, did it shift or move or something with the pick-up? Any help would be appreciated, I cant find anything on this that has an answer.

-Tad.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The baffling might of come loose, I'm not exactly sure of the layout of the gas tank, but surely something's wrong if the motor actually cuts out as you could not only damage your fuel pump, but going lean is the worst of it I think....keep her straight til you figure it out!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a low fuel issue unless you can get it to do it with more gas in it. Also, not sure how long you have had the car... but if theres an aftermarket fuel pump it could very likely be the issue. Many aftermarket pumps will not use the same setup and sit higher in the gas tank so they do run out of fuel around 1/8 tank. Often times they will say not to run below a 1/4.

Another thing to look at is the battery. If your battery holder is broken (like every fbody ive seen) on the front side, the battery can rock and the (+) positive battery terminal can come in contact with metal objects... which would cause a short only on hard turns.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Default re: pump

Yes there is an aftermarket pump in there, but i was fitted into the old frame in the same spot the old pump sat. I could be OUT of gas and corner all i want, as long as there was gas, it wouldn't cut out, up till my trip home. Didn't ever have this problem and ive owned the car for over a year now. The only thing at this point that i can think of is maybe its leaking from the pickup to pump and maybe the pump needs to be submerged for good pickup. I am gonna pull it out and look at that but otherwise, any other ideas?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run with more gas?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Def. sounds like a fuel pump pickup uncovering condition. Maybe the gauge is off a tad. I'd just run with more gas as well.

Quick Reply: 1998 SS M6 stalls on hard corners