Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Machining / Bearing Selection / ARP Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Machining / Bearing Selection / ARP Questions

I'm (re)building an LS1 and am going to be installing ARP hardware in my mains and rods. I'm not going to take any chances with journal clearances so I'm going to take them to get resized. But I have a few questions..

For guys that have done this, do you take your own measurements and spec to the shop what to hone it out to (according to what bearings are available) or will they machine it as necessary and spec a bearing to me? I have a dial bore gauge so I am capable of measuring the o-o-R of the journals if need be. Also, is it necessary to separate the pistons from the rods before taking them to the shop? I know I have to call the shop but just want to hear what your experiences were.

On a slightly related topic - the bore distortion that occurs with the increased clamp load in the mains/rods got me thinking about head bolts/studs - I'll eventually be putting one or the other in. Does anything similar occur with the piston bores as far as distortion goes with ARP head hardware? My intuition tells me no as there's a lot more material to squeeze in that application, but would I be better off getting the hardware now and having the shop check / hone the piston bores while it's there?

Finally, I've read that it's a good idea to use sleeve retaining compound on camshaft bearings to help prevent spinning (something like a Loctite 640). Has anyone used anything like this and would it be a good thing to use on the mains/rods as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice / input.

Quick Reply: Engine Machining / Bearing Selection / ARP Questions