Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

799 heads have two different size exhaust valves... WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 799 heads have two different size exhaust valves... WTF??

I bought some 799 heads new on eBay a couple months ago, had WCCH mill them 0.022, and I have put about 600 miles on them since. I took them off last night to swap the lifters and springs because I had some annoying lifter tapping on the driver side. On this head I noticed that two of the exhaust valves are 1.55" and two are 1.59". I haven't measured the ones on the other head yet. I also measured how far the valve stems stick out of the head and there is a 0.03" spread in the stem height.

What the heck is going on here??? Can I run it as is? This is my daily driver and was hoping to have it buttoned back up tomorrow. I don't really have time to get new heads or valves, or have machine work done. I do have a set of 5.3L heads I could pull the valves out of, I think they have 1.55 exhaust valves, but they have 105k miles on them.

This is what I get for buying heads on eBay, even though they were new
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

The other head has all 1.59" exhaust valves... Now I'm really confused. I'm leaning towards just using them as is. There was no obvious issues during the the first 600 miles. I may have to use some different length pushrods to get the preload correct with the varying stem heights.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that sucks, sorry to hear. Hope you put that in your feedback on eBay. To many people get burned on eBay and don't hit the seller with negative feedback. I don't think it would hurt anything running them. It wouldn't be ideal but i don't see why not. I guess maybe it could **** with the tune a little bit.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Were the valves like that "new" or were they mixed up on the bench when the heads were milled? If they were like that when went to be milled why wasn't it caught by the "head professionals" that milled them?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Were the valves like that "new" or were they mixed up on the bench when the heads were milled? If they were like that when went to be milled why wasn't it caught by the "head professionals" that milled them?
I tried calling WCCH but Richard is gone today. I suppose it's possible but I figure they would have a system in place to prevent that from happening. The valves looked new. I assembled them myself, Richard just sent the heads with the parts unassembled. The seller shipped them straight to WCCH, so I don't know if they were like that before getting milled.

The heads had a couple other issues as well, like broken off bolts in holes. I emailed the seller, we will see what he says.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talked to someone else at WCCH today and he said that the 1.59" are LS3 valves. I have no idea how they got in there. He said I can run them, but they don't seal as well with the head because the 45* chamfers are perfectly lined up. And, they will cause the stem height to be lower.

They are hopefully going to ship me some 1.55" valves overnight and I'll have them tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 799 heads have two different size exhaust valves... WTF??