Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-10 Swap - 98' LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S-10 Swap - 98' LS1?

I'm about to start a swap for my cousin so I'm sure folks will be hearing alot from me over the next few months. To start off with, the motor I'm thinking of using is from a 98' corvette. Is there any big gain to getting one from a 00"-02" instead? I'll be tearing it down and sending the block/heads to be cleaned up, resealed, and balanced. I'm not planning on anything crazy because my cousins only used to 180HP under his foot. LOL! He wants a choppy sound from it so I'm thinking the easy route and Hot Cam'n it. As far as rocker arms, springs, lifters, pushrods, cam, timing chain, does anyone have any not so "run of the mill" ideas for this instead of the Hot Cam kit? It's a daily driver for sure. Opinions about going gear driven timing? He wants to use the Edlebrock ProFlo XT as the intake, undecided on trottle body, rails, and injectors as of now. Opinions? Does anyone have any experience with this intake on what it likes to be paired with? I'll be buying everything Current Performance has for the swap. Any input to this will be helpful. I'm still questioning a 6.0L. I saw one this morning for $800, and it's local. Does everything match up the same on that block as the 5.7 does?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SleepNT.A-SwapNS.10
I'm about to start a swap for my cousin so I'm sure folks will be hearing alot from me over the next few months. To start off with, the motor I'm thinking of using is from a 98' corvette. Is there any big gain to getting one from a 00"-02" instead? I'll be tearing it down and sending the block/heads to be cleaned up, resealed, and balanced. I'm not planning on anything crazy because my cousins only used to 180HP under his foot. LOL! He wants a choppy sound from it so I'm thinking the easy route and Hot Cam'n it. As far as rocker arms, springs, lifters, pushrods, cam, timing chain, does anyone have any not so "run of the mill" ideas for this instead of the Hot Cam kit? It's a daily driver for sure. Opinions about going gear driven timing? He wants to use the Edlebrock ProFlo XT as the intake, undecided on trottle body, rails, and injectors as of now. Opinions? Does anyone have any experience with this intake on what it likes to be paired with? I'll be buying everything Current Performance has for the swap. Any input to this will be helpful. I'm still questioning a 6.0L. I saw one this morning for $800, and it's local. Does everything match up the same on that block as the 5.7 does?
Stock rockers, new gm lifters and some hardened pushrods will be fine. I used an ls2 timing chain with new oem gears. Some say the ls2 chain has a lot of slack, but it didnt bother me at all. He might have a cleanance issue with the pro flo intake. Have him check the LSX section over at the s10 forum. I have a build thread there that is linked in my sig. The hot cam or even the ls6 cam are good choices, most will say better cams can be had for the same money. I got most to all of my parts from current performance. The only real issue I am having is an electroysis issue. I had the radiator repaired once but did not test the system for voltage and it started to leak again (I was stupid for not checking it after repair). I also have any wire pinouts you might need for the swap. My swap was an LQ9 rebuild 4.030 with L92 heads. Its a beast and sometimes I need to park it and drive my slower car. most parts between a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 LSX engines are interchangeable. Not all but lots!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks man. We just bought an 01' vette motor, to be shipped today. I'm thinking we're just going to go with the "Hotcam" and LS6 springs set from GMDirect. Seems to be pretty standard, and my cousins more interested in the sound, not performance. He's content staying below 400hp. We are buying everything CPW has for this build. I figure if would be the safest, smoothest way to go. Radiator, fan, and condenser; compressor bracket and compressor; H3 oil pan; Samson headers and motor mount kit. I'm also going to just have him build the harness for me. Still up in the air about the intake. It really just depends on what the motor looks like when I open her up. Too many unknowns until I see the thing. Any suggestions on the transmission cooler? Do I just neeed to get one separate and route the lines to the front of the condenser? Also would it be wise to go ahead and get tubular A-arms? Whats your opinion about swapping to the LS6 intake. I can find one for around $200. I'm already gonna ditch the EGR. Also I'm in the dark when it comes to getting the right injectors. If everthing stays stock besides the cam and springs, do I need to change them? Are there different injectors needed with the LS6 intake, if I go that route? Also would 2800-3200 stall be good enough for the hot cam or kinda overkill for daily driving? He's sticking with the 3.42's he has.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Moved thread to the conversion and hybrids..
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SleepNT.A-SwapNS.10
Thanks man. We just bought an 01' vette motor, to be shipped today. I'm thinking we're just going to go with the "Hotcam" and LS6 springs set from GMDirect. Seems to be pretty standard, and my cousins more interested in the sound, not performance. He's content staying below 400hp. We are buying everything CPW has for this build. I figure if would be the safest, smoothest way to go. Radiator, fan, and condenser; compressor bracket and compressor; H3 oil pan; Samson headers and motor mount kit. I'm also going to just have him build the harness for me. Still up in the air about the intake. It really just depends on what the motor looks like when I open her up. Too many unknowns until I see the thing. Any suggestions on the transmission cooler? Do I just neeed to get one separate and route the lines to the front of the condenser? Also would it be wise to go ahead and get tubular A-arms? Whats your opinion about swapping to the LS6 intake. I can find one for around $200. I'm already gonna ditch the EGR. Also I'm in the dark when it comes to getting the right injectors. If everthing stays stock besides the cam and springs, do I need to change them? Are there different injectors needed with the LS6 intake, if I go that route? Also would 2800-3200 stall be good enough for the hot cam or kinda overkill for daily driving? He's sticking with the 3.42's he has.

I went with a performabuilt lvl2 with a 2500 stall converter. It was the single most expensive part. $2400 with converter, bellhousing and tailshaft. I couldnt take the chance of buying a bad used one. Some like RPM and such. The ls6 intake is better then the LS1 and if its stock, look for stock ls6 injectors unless your looking at some future upgrades. I cant recommend a stall coverter because I don't know much about them. I told performabuilt what I was building and how I was driving and he recommended the 2500 stall.

you need to check out the s10forum under the lsx section. LOADS of infor, my build thread is over there also.

Quick Reply: 2003 S-10 Swap - 98' LS1?