Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to these engines but not chevys

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to these engines but not chevys

I've build my fair share of motors in my day but the ls base motor is new to me. Ive got a 5.3 out of a 2002 Tahoe and I'm wanting to builld it for street use but still be able to scare little kids when its running. I'm looking at different cam packages and head work and I'm pretty sure I got that part figured out but the bottom end is where I'm needing to start. My question is if I want to put ls1 pistons in can i just bore out the block and run them or do I need to bore and stroke it? I'm not really wanting to change the block and if need be I'll just run stock parts that are better quality and build a cammed 5.3. At this point I'm going with long tube headers, a ls1 intake with throttle body, cam, port and polish heads, and full head rebuilt.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsc10
I've build my fair share of motors in my day but the ls base motor is new to me. Ive got a 5.3 out of a 2002 Tahoe and I'm wanting to builld it for street use but still be able to scare little kids when its running. I'm looking at different cam packages and head work and I'm pretty sure I got that part figured out but the bottom end is where I'm needing to start. My question is if I want to put ls1 pistons in can i just bore out the block and run them or do I need to bore and stroke it? I'm not really wanting to change the block and if need be I'll just run stock parts that are better quality and build a cammed 5.3. At this point I'm going with long tube headers, a ls1 intake with throttle body, cam, port and polish heads, and full head rebuilt.
Get rid of the LS1 intake for a LS6 intake.

Bore it out and rebalance the rotating assembly.

Source out some 243/799 head castings.

Affordable and effective combo.

Quick Reply: new to these engines but not chevys