Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have experience with ProPower Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have experience with ProPower Performance?

I'm looking around online in search of a stroker kit for my LQ4. I came across this ad on ebay but am not real sure about the crank and rods it comes with because I didn't see any mention of a brand name for those parts in the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LS2-L76-...040#vi-content

Is this a decent assembly? If not, what's something that I should be looking at? I've basically come across this so far and calspeedperformance.com for kits. I'm newer to a performance build and am trying to get started off right. My goal is 700+whp. Do most kits need to be final balanced or can I get one that I can basically take out of the box and throw in my block?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea, but I will tell you this. Price shopping internal engine components is a very very very bad idea and almost always leads to pre mature engine failure. Name brands got to be name brands for a reason. Been there done that. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Which is my reason for asking. On a site this big, chances are that someone has been across this before me and knows more. Search didn't bring up an answer though. The price isn't real far off of cal speed and there are a lot of piston options. I'm just working on getting ideas for things that are good and bad.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

I've used PP in the past for other builds, mostly modular based and they had excellent customer service. In one case, the cams sent weren't the ones we should have ordered and they covered our mistake by taking the others back no questions asked and even shipped the new ones next day free of charge. It's been some time since then so I don't know if management is the same. In regards to the ad itself, I'm not too keen on the piston choices as I don't have experience with Mahle though I do know they make a good piston. CP as well as they're pistons on modular builds have always been top notch but I don't know if they have the development down as well as the Wiseco/Diamond designs. SRP I would just stay away from. In years past they were always tough pistons but heavy as hell and well, weight is power in the rotating assembly. I would also wonder what crank/rods you will get as it doesn't specify. The K1's that I have seen have thus far had awesome tolerances, in line with the Compstar line and seem to hold up just as well. I wonder if that price is for a lesser Eagle/Scat casting though, and I couldn't possibly imagine that would include balancing as that's normally another $250 or so. Have you tried contacting PP direct? They've made me good deals over the phone in years past as well. I actually pieced together a K1 forged assembly from vendors on Ebay and Wiseco pistons for $1800. Crank was $760 shipped, Rods were $490 shipped, and pistons $550 (you probably won't find that deal again any time soon). Those were also not the budget series ProTru's either. You always have other vendors on here as well. I will say that normally the little money you save going with Eagle or something along those lines over Callies or K1 is negated at the machine shop in many instances so keep that in mind.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks, that sounds like a lot of good info. The crank is the big thing I'm curious about. I'm working on getting enough knowledge and questions together to call and ask some more about that kit.

I'm actually talking to someone in the classifieds right now about a crank and connecting rods and possibly making a deal. I'm even a little curious about reusing my stock crank too. This stuff is hard! There's so much to know, haha.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have experience with ProPower Performance?