Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 vetter with ls6 top end what all is needed to do the swap right??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 vetter with ls6 top end what all is needed to do the swap right??

i currently have a 99 ls1 corvette, im trying to do a budget/streetable/reliable ls6 top end to my stock ls shortblock. I already have a set of 243(ls6 gto heads with yellow beehive springs), next things are ls6 intake and ls6 cam. Wondering if their is anything else i will encounter in this build or what to expect?As I have never torn into one of these ls engines, any special gaskets I will need? modifcations to any existing part of motor to make ls6 parts work?do i need different valve covers?waterpump? oil pump?etc also was told the batwing ls6 oil pan was a good upgrade. let me know guys i just want to do this project right the first time and make it last , and yes i know i will need a tune. thanks
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Launching!

Head gaskets, headbolts, and a tune. I would also swap oit the oil pump for good measure. Keep the stock pan if ur trying to stick to a budget, that should be it. Just make sure you inspect everything real good. I'd also put some headers on.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do do not put the ls6 cam in there and replace those yellow springs, at least step up to a bigger cam you will be kicking yourself later even something along the lines of 222 226 on like a 115 will wake the car up dramatically and will drive perfect with no issues. 243 heads are nice and you will make good power with them. I would consider having them milled and get a quality 3 angle valve job done on them you will pick up some flow and a little bit of compression, which = power everywhere.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Launching!

you will be like 340 350 rwhp with that cam. Like said get a better cam . With the ls6 heads and a better cam you will push 400 rwhp easily
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need an LS6 intake manifold if you don't have one. You don't mention it in your list. If you are dead set on a GM parts only swap I would go with an LS Hot Cam over the LS6 cam. You could also do an LS9 cam but you would need the LS2 style front cover and wiring adapter for the cam sensor pick up. As mentioned a good three angle valve job in the heads and since they are used I would add new yellow springs at a minimum or go with a set of COMP 918 springs or their equivalent.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Teching In

The ls6 intake is on the list, Ive heard good and bad about swapping out the stock ls6 cam for something better..What does a 3 angle valve job usually run? also will i need the ls6 injectors? I also keep hearing about getting a oil catch can when i do the swap..anyone have any experience with this. also my main goal is to keep car not only reliable and driveable, but also want it to continue to get great fuel economy. thats my fear with a more radical cam. I also have plans in the future of adding a power adder one day with a maximum of 8-10 pds of boost....everyone that wrote me so far, much appreicaited

Quick Reply: ls1 vetter with ls6 top end what all is needed to do the swap right??