Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piston movement /wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston movement /wobble?

Hey guys I'm in the middle of putting my heads and cam motor together, before I put the heads on I decided to clean up some of the carbon on the pistons , this may seem a dumb question but as I'm cleaning them a few pistons feel like they can sort of slightly move side to side ? Or wobble a teensy bit . Is this normal or is this bottom end doomed ? Don't wanna assemble if its screwed up
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A little bet of movement is normal . Most pistons size measurements are only the specified size on the skirt ,,,,,,,the ring lands are between .020"-.040" smaller so yes looking at the piston top it can appear worn out when in fact it's not . If this engine is out of the vehicle then I would suggest removing at least 1 piston , then remove the rings , then put piston back into bore to measure the piston to bore clearance . Service maximum is right at .003" piston to bore .
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We thought the same thing. We pulled a 347 for a guy and took it to the machine ship. During the disassembly we ended up moving one of the pistons the same way and thought the rings were just gone. After getting it back from the machine shop it was the same way.

Quick Reply: piston movement /wobble?