Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Path of least resistance for fixing oil leak at timing cover from missing rtv?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Path of least resistance for fixing oil leak at timing cover from missing rtv?

I have a small oil leak coming from the bottom of the timing cover. I think the previous owner may have forgotten to put the rtv in the corners of the timing cover where it meets the pan. It doesn't appear to be leaking from anywhere else, from crank seal area is clean. What would be the easiest path to correcting this? Obviously I really don't want to have to pull everything off of the front of the motor or drop the K to pull the oil pan if I don't have to. Advice?

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 03-24-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do it right the first time or you'll have enough time to do it right the second time.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

I subscribe to the same philosophy. That's not what is up for debate. I'm wanting to know what the most efficient way of doing it right is. If that is completely pulling the cover and dropping the pan all the way out and starting over then so be it. I will do whatever is necessary to do it right. I simply don't want to do more than what is necessary.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you feel more comfortable dropping the kmember to drop the pan do it that way. If you'd rather pull off the water pump and crank pulley and whatnot to take off the front cover do it that way.

Judging from your original post and your mod list the car was modded before you got it. Personally i'd take off the front cover and see what else may be missing/not done right.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

drain the oil, loosen the timing cover and pull it out a little and add some black rtv to the bottom of the timing cover gasket where it touches the oil pan gasket (just a drop)

then put the cover back on and before you tighten it, push down on the cover towards the oil pan to try and get it flush with the bottom of the block... tighten the bottom bolts first and then the rest... you can do it without removing the balancer... if that doesnt fix it then your oil pan was not alligned properly..
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

now that I think about it, the oil pan alignment really won't affect the front timing cover seal... oil pan alignment is really so you don't extend it past the rear of the block, if you do that then it could crack when you tighten your transmission bellhousing to the engine.

You either have an old gasket, or no rtv was used, or they didnt tighten the timing cover first before the oil pan was torqued down, and therefore leaving a small gap at the bottom of the timing cover and where the oil pan mate at... Its one of those symptoms lol

Quick Reply: Path of least resistance for fixing oil leak at timing cover from missing rtv?