Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I need Timing chain/oil pump ,MAF recommendations? Longtubes Install Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C/I need Timing chain/oil pump ,MAF recommendations? Longtubes Install Questions?

Ok guys im coming close to starting my H/C/I and longtube headers install. Just missing a few critical parts before i can start.
-Im gonna degree my cam so i will need an adjustable timing chain
-My questions are what adjustable timing chain set is recommended? preferably a single chain but if its a double roller will it clear timing cover?
-what oil pump recommended?
-what MAF is recommended??
-I was also wondering since im doing a header swap to longtubes how high do i need to raise the car for me to slide the headers into place??
-Or is it possible to install the longtubes from the top when the heads are off the block???

Here is my parts list
-AI ported 243 heads wit their 226 port work and BTR Dual .660 Springs installed.
-Tickperformance SNS Torquemax stage 3 cam
-Fast 92/92 combo
-Fast 36lb. injectors
-ls7 lifter and ls2 lifter trays
-BTR Chromoly pushrods
-ARH 1 7/8 longtube headers and ory
-Slp UD pulley
-GM 4.10 gears
And other stuff im forgetting...

This is all going into my 2002 T/A WS6
Please any advice and recommendations welcomed.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't like LS7 lifters. Problem is, I don't have a good recommendation that isn't a ton of money.

AI heads and the Tick cam will be good.

FAST 102/102 is what I'd do. More power and no downside besides the price.

I'd just run the TSP headers and ORY. You won't gain a lot because you're stuck with a Y-pipe with the ARH, but they do cost a good bit more. The best exhaust for the car is the Kooks headers + Kooks TDs. That costs a lot. But really, not a lot more than ARH headers + GMMG cb for example. Something to look at.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for a timing chain check out the cloyes hex-a-just units. they are single row, has the adjustment mechanism on the cam gear (infinitely adjustable from +/- 6 degrees), and also has a torrington bearing to prevent your cam gear from wearing your retainer plate. the gears are also slightly oversized to help and take up chain slack. its a nice set.

oil pumps...lots of guys runs mellings or ported ls6 castings from any of our vendors. I have no experience personally with it yet but will be running the TSP ported ls6, which is also internally shimmed for a bump in pressure output.

I haven't really found anything concrete on running larger MAF's....I don't think running a larger one would really be of much benefit unless you have the intake and heads that flow enough to warrant it...I think texas speed sells a 100mm maf, but lots use corvette 85mm or an LS7 card maf with a custom housing. from what I have read tuning really seems to become an issue if you don't clock it properly in the inlet stream or if your tuner doesn't have idle tables for a 102. still researching this myself.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys...
As far as my parts list I really can't do anything bout The headers and lifters Cuz I have them already just trying to complete my list before tear down.

Anymore advice would be great thanks !
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Problem with the Cloyes set is it uses the LS2 chain on the $160 kit. But the $270 kit has the C5-R chain, which is a nice overall piece. Another option is the JP Performance kit which is about $90 and has a torrington bearing, billet adjustable gears, and a Rolon chain that's probably a slight upgrade over the Renauld LS2 chain.

Oil Pump - just get a stock LS6. The internal porting and shimming doesn't really do much to increase oil pressure. You need a bigger gerotor to increase flow. Porting the ends provides a slight bump in flow, but not much. And installing a stiffer bypass spring only increases idle pressure when cold. You'd need to go with a GM HV pump or a Melling 10296 for more flow. And more flow through the engine is how you increase pressure since the clearances determine the ease by which the oil can move freely through the engine. Katech has a ported GM HV pump for 185 and Synergy sells one that's clearanced for double rollers for 175. The Melling 10296 is about $140. Stock GM parts are around $100 for either one.

I'd do the FAST 102 intake and FAST 92 TB with the stock MAF. Stock MAF is good til about 500rwhp, but the smaller diameter stock MAF might restrict power compared to a full 100mm intake track by like 5-7HP once you get up into the 450rwhp+ range. Nothing huge, but something.

Quick Reply: H/C/I need Timing chain/oil pump ,MAF recommendations? Longtubes Install Questions?