Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfire! Help me out here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Backfire! Help me out here!

How frustrating it is, I just got the car running good after having the heads ported, new custom cam, ported intake and a couple TB swaps and tunes. Then while getting on her hard, pop,pop pop, pop, backfires. My license plate reads "FIREPWR" but people were probably laughing with the gunshot pops coming from my exhaust as I limped home. She would backfire multiple times under load of anything greater than 1/4 throttle. When crusing with light throttle, no backfire or any bad engine shake. All the engine noise is louder clicking. No oil leaking, oil pressure was at about 30ish when hot. What could it be now? Broken lifter? Arcing spark plug or damaged plug or wire?
What would you do to diagnose it? Do you think a local dealer would be able to, as there is nobody around here with LS engine experience. My speed shop is 5 hours away, and I've been back and forth to them too many times and I have a baby coming next week so I gotta stay local. I really don't have the know how too open her up and look myself either.
Any suggestions on diagnosing and repairing her is appreciated!

Last edited by shippershack; 03-31-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You say 'you just got the car running good'

I assume you did the right thing & got the car tuned properly by a tuner! after all that engine work etc

If not, there's your problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Tuned 3x by a reputable shop
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be detonation. I would check the fuel pressure first.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Could a busted valve spring cause this rapid backfire? Car feels like she is running on 7 cylinders. It had been totally rebuilt with all premium parts in the last 3 months. New LS7 litters, new plugs and pemium wires, PSI springs, all new seals, springs professionally installed by Advanced Induction when they ported my 241's.
What would cause a rapid backfire...i'm guessing one cylinder isn't firing and gas is leaking into the exhaust and detonating there. So before I crack her open, any wagers on what the weak link is? Could the exhaust do it if say the headers broke loose?
I'm hoping it isn't anything major...but it's like a bad nightmare thinking about what is so wrong after taking it so long to getting her so right.
Ideas?

Quick Reply: Backfire! Help me out here!