Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my high power lq4

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build my high power lq4

I'm finally getting around to planning my motor build for my 72 Nova setup for road racing/autocross/show car. My 355 finally died after serving me for 4 years as a daily driver and another 4 of 7000rpm shifts. This car gets street driven, goes on cruises but i also don't show it any mercy lol so I want it to be radical. I'm starting this build with an 05 lq4 block, i'm going to strip it of everything and start over, I was thinking about forced induction but changed my mind.

So here are my thoughts for a nasty stroker build and am completely open to suggestions since i am new to the ls world and grew up on small blocks (even though im only 23). Cost isn't too big of a factor here because i want this motor to last as long as possible and be reliable.

I'm looking at TSP's 421CI rotating assembly(not sure if this is actually feasible even though its marketed for an lq4) and will upgrade most of the components to make sure this thing stays together.
PRC cnc ported ls3 cylinder heads, I know i'm going to have to look into what piston to use with these heads due to ptv clearance.
Cam is completely up in the air but i have a friend who says he knows someone who can make me something custom.
intake will most likely be an edelbrock victor jr with an accufab or similar 4 barrel throttle body running with a speed density tune with a 14" air cleaner with a filter top plate.
It will get larger injectors (whatever is recommended)
Ive heard the truck coils are good(don't know what truth there is to that) but i may go with msd coils.

This will be backed by a 6sp manual to a 3.73 geared rear, i think this could put down some serious power but not really sure about hard numbers, is 600 flywheel horsepower out of the question?
If anyone has any input its greatly appreciated, I'm still in the planning stages and only have the engine down to the short block and wanted to solidify the bottom end before sending it to the machine shop.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Bringing this back from the dead, the lq4 was an 04, got a forged rotating assembly from Texas Speed, lunati crank, lunati rods with ARP bolts, weiseco -3cc pistons and ARP main and head studs. The bottom end has been machined and assembled by the shop doing the work and I'm looking to try and figure out my top end. I'm still looking at l92/ls3 heads, either stock or prc, still open to suggestions though and a victor Jr intake with a 4150 throttle body retaining the fuel rails. The motor should handle boost fine if I decide to add it one day but that's far away so I could use some more compression now. I will also need a cam to match, keeping in mind the car will see mostly street but also road course and auto crossing. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated especially since I'm deploying and would like to have the motor complete for when I come home.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:45 AM

a junk yard 5.3 low miles bone stock with a ls1 intake ls6 cam/springs arp rod bolts/head studs and a set of ls3 mls head gaskets dyi 76mm turbo kit 13-15psi pump gas 540-575 rwhp on a light tune drives like stock.. blow it get another long block 500 and a couple day down time vs waiting and waiting for the machine shop, custom parts etc. I have I identical setup in a 78 Malibu haven't even checked the plugs in 2 yrs runs 10s everytime
Old 12-28-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't do a 4.125" stroke on an engine that you expect to last a long time at high rpms.

Keep the stroke at 4" or less for that and you won't miss a few extra cubes.

As far as piston clearance, you should be ok with the valve reliefs most pistons come with. Unless you mill the heck out of the heads and use a humongous cam you will be fine.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Boost is far in the future, pretty much just want to drive it when I get home from deployment.

The bottom end is already assembled as I stated in the second post, was looking for advice on the top end, definitely want to go with a carb style intake/4150 throttle body retaining fuel rails, just looking for some advice on a good setup, I'm hoping for something over 500 at the wheels on pump gas, maybe around 10.5 c/r and it will be backed by a t56.

Quick Reply: Help me build my high power lq4