Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this work? opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this work? opinions needed

I am in the process of restoring a 1950 chevy truck with my dad.
He wants to be around 400 hp but with the best driveability as possible
and we are on a budget

I found an LM7 (5.3) motor complete with unlocked ECM for 800 bucks local with 98k miles..

Obviously while the motor is out we would like to throw some parts at it

would this work?

Ls6 intake, LS6 02-04 ls6 cam? can be picked up for 200 bucks used.
I cant think of anything that would hold it up and it would work great since that motor already has 799 heads.

we will already have headers as well and good exhaust
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello, how are You today? First yes, those parts will work but the throttle body will run into the upper water pump outlet so You either have to fab the steel neck to the spot on water pump that points straight out or have it done or I believe either the camaro LS1 or the corvette LS6 water pump should work. The distance of the fan belt on the camaros and vettes is a little closer to the block but I believe the difference is the pulley at least for the water pump, the balancers are different but You don't have to worry about that . As far as the cam, if You watch the classifieds in here You can usually find 1 4 between 100-150 or go with an LS2 cam or better yet pony up for a 224-224 with maybe .586 lift for about $375 plus springs and push rods. Not sure about springs but You can get new p-rods .080" 5/16" hardened 4 $80 at Alex's parts .
As far as 400hp, not with an LS6 cam at least not wheel hp. There is a cpl articles from car craft where They take j-yard 5.3 and put a carb manifold and holley 750 I believe, then an MSD ignition controller then Their baseline hp was 335 and 350 tq. Then springs and a *****-Thumper cam , then some cnced heads and end up with 459flywheel hp and 398lb./ft. but the cam without heads They had 431flywheel hp and 365 I believe lb./ft. There are better cams than that cam ,,using it as an example.

Quick Reply: Would this work? opinions needed