Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm tolerances

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm tolerances

Hi everyone. I try to do as much research on the site before I chime in. I was wanting some opinions on how loose the tolerances for the rocker arm should be before they are considered worn out if at all. Along with all the other noises that seem to be real common with our cars, I have had the upper drive train ticking that seems to have gotten worse over the last year. Several mechanics that I consider in the know have said I may have a rocker arm going bad so I decided to just jump headlong into it and take the valve covers and rocker arms all out and look and learn. All 16 look and behave exactly alike and all the push rods seem fine. I did notice however(after I removed them) that I can wiggle the rocker left to right a bit and also in an angular movement where the axle it rocks on one side high and the other side low if that makes since. Maybe it's normal but I wasn't sure. I know some will say go ahead and spring for aftermarket since I've gone this far but if the problem is somewhere else like the lifters or something hated to throw money at it till I know for sure. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy some low mile take offs they are super cheap on classifieds, or just buy a trunnion upgrade kit from comp or summit and then you know they are all good and you don't have to worry about spilling needle bearings everywhere
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider this ,^^^^ .how many miles on the rockers ?they will feel a little looser with no oil in them .
Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They are also designed to scrub, it's the nature of it.. it has some wiggle room that you are feeling..
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trunion upgrade. It is very well known that those needles will eventually take a dump in your engine and give you at least one bad day. Sloppy, not sloppy, miles, no miles. . . just do it.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most guys with modified engines do the trunnion upgrade.

If you already decided that aftermarket was the ticket you need to slow down and begin to TRULY understand things not the take it apart and look at it and decide to spend money on heavier often less reliable parts like you have already decided on.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't really decided on anything yet. Many posts I've read tell every one to stop stalling and guessing and do something about it. So here I am. Have enjoyed the work mostly, just exploring my options now that I'm in it. I appreciate all the knowledge. I have thought of the trunion upgrade even before I pulled apart. Seems two to one the stock rockers are a reasonable quality for a stock motor. Was a little supprised to see how dirty and gummy the inside of the valve covers and push rods were. I have used Mobil 1 for the year I had it and the owners before preached quality oil like mobil1 one or castrol. But preaching and doing are two different things I guess. Anyhow, I'll move on and thanks for the input. Thought about since I was there I would study on the valve springs and my options there as well. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Rocker arm tolerances