Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on speed pro forged pistons with Scat I beam rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on speed pro forged pistons with Scat I beam rods

Tried to search a few times, but no luck just people wanting to sell them which is never a good sign, but a fresh ls1 with speed pro forged pistons and scat I beam rods fell into my lap, so my question is, what power can it withstand without coming apart, is this setup stronger then factory or a step in the other direction? It will determine if this will end up in my fair weather daily driver or my weekend car...Any info would be appreciated
Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have limited experience with Speed Pro pistons is ls motors but I remember they were a decent piston for the money in sbc's. Scat rods are a good budget rod. Hopefully someone with more Speed Pro experience can chime in.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

is this setup stronger then factory or a step in the other direction?
They are most definitely a step up from factory, especially over the ls1 rods which were weaker than the current LS2/LS3 rods which are pretty good from the factory.

You still get forged parts (aluminum in pistons, steel in rods) and ARP bolts in the rods. For sure better than any cast stuff that came originally in the LS1.

Now these may not be able to hold down 700+ rwhp like other forged stuff, for a naturally aspirated fair weather driver they would be more then enough.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o ok cool, thanks alot, i have no experience with them and a friend said they were brittle so it made me nervous, I was considering spraying this engine
Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

a friend said they were brittle so it made me nervous
Again, not anywhere as brittle as the original LS1 rods that's for sure.

Depending on how much you want to spray, you may want to look at beefier h beam rods.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to clarify, the stock Ls based gen3 conn rods are forged powdered metal so They are somewhere inbetween cast and conventional forged rods as far as strength is concerned. I agree that the Speed Pro forged pistons and the Scat rods are for sure a click or two above factory . The only thing I don't like about forged pistons in general is the fact that They expand more than cast hypereutectic slugs so piston to bore has to be looser .
The main killer of rods is going to be rpm's . The stock 1st design LS1 rods(second design bolts or ARP bolts) can safely handle 650-700hp as long as You keep it under 6800 r's and rotating assembly is balanced well and assembled correctly,,,,,,,,etc

Quick Reply: Info on speed pro forged pistons with Scat I beam rods