Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another noisey LS1...should i be worried :sophmore newb:

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another noisey LS1...should i be worried :sophmore newb:

1999 Z28 with 119,800 on it. motor runs really really nice, idles great...ECXEPT...two problems. the first is a very high pitched scream ONLY at idle. sounds like theres vacuum sucking in through a very very very small hole. i kinda messed with the stock PCV system but the noise only happens when the car is at idle and in Closed Loop warm. i got NO FRIGGEN IDEA how to pin point this noise just because the pitch is so so damn high i cant even get a general idea where its coming from or what is could be. the noise is ONLY at idle..never above.........AND................................. ...........>

of course..the lifter/rocker clicking which is loud enough i can hear it in the car with windows rolled up cruising at 45 mph (and the car has an SLP loudmouth on it). but it ONLY occurs between 1500 and 1900 rpm. WTF?!? ive had the LS1 for over a year now and know these things are noisey but it is loud enough to be embarassing to cruise at these rpms. funny though it doesnt happen at all from 800rpm to 1300 or so, and after 2200 rpm its gone completley (i think). Ive ripped this thing to 6000 and no noises or nothing and no funny business after i beat on it. motor acts like nothing happened. but then again, there is the ticking when the engine is held at right around 1800 rpm is where its the worst. the sound is very audible at the valve covers.

i know this is probably been beaten to death but if i can find some good threads on how to check if i got a bent pushrod, or maybe its just loose rockers?.

i run 10w30 mobil one high milage, and i run a pure one filter. car mods are slp lid, FTRA check my sig. great oil pressure and wicked smooth nice idle with a little bit of burping out the exhaust at idle. keep in mind im dead broke and terrified to pull a valve cover, plus i got no idea how to adjust valves on an ls1 if i do pull rocker arms.... I love this car, Ive always loved these cars, and my dream in life is to somehow learn at least half as much as some of you guys know.
THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS AND GIRLS.

Quick Reply: another noisey LS1...should i be worried :sophmore newb: