Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quick rundown list of what to replace when doing a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a quick rundown list of what to replace when doing a rebuild

I'm sure its been mentioned here a few times but for some reason I can't find just a simple list.

It's an LS1 engine that I'm rebuilding. The reason its being rebuild is due to bad piston rings.

The car has been driven for months (average 70 miles a day) with the bad rings despite the severity of the damage on the rings. A lot of blue smoke (slightly reving the engine will cause the cars behind to slow down because they will completely be blinded). Having to change the spark plugs every other day because the car would be impossible to drive due to the oil fouled spark plugs. Oil coming out of exhaust. About 2 quarts of oil every other day.

So considering the above, what would have been effected in the engine? What would have to be replaced?

The car will be stock. Its a DD but will be abused from time to time. Like WOT and racing.

My shopping list is...
1. Gaskets (I need to know what Gaskets I need exactly though)
2. Lifters
3. Bearings
4. Pistons
5. Piston rings
6. ARP head bolts
7. Oil pump

What else should I add to the list?

Last edited by Freefallin; 12-12-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should tear the engine down first and see what the bores look like before you spend any money.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get new rod bolts ,and new trunnion bearings for the rocker arm .get some new valve springs and harden push rods .
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya man if they're that far gone they may have damaged the cylinder or it may be so out of spec that it can't be saved. You can only bore a 99-up ls1 .010 and if it's that bad it may need to go past that...
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tear it apart and inspect it, then you can start to make a list or decide on what route you want to go. Most people don't include all the small things on their engine build list that will nickle and dime you to death.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^ what he said. All the small **** adds up quick.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
Tear it apart and inspect it, then you can start to make a list or decide on what route you want to go. Most people don't include all the small things on their engine build list that will nickle and dime you to death.
An example would be nice. I'm ordering the stuff so its going to take at least 14 days to get here. So yeah, can't just run to the store to get what I need. Just want to know what things must be changed anyway so I could order them now and by the time I'm done dissecting the engine, it shouldn't be too long a wait before the parts get here
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freefallin
My shopping list is...
1. Gaskets (I need to know what Gaskets I need exactly though)
2. Lifters
3. Bearings
4. Pistons
5. Piston rings
6. ARP head bolts
7. Oil pump

What else should I add to the list?
Here are the other items you will also need with a rebuild.
- Valvetrain: Cam, pushrods, valve springs
- Timing chain
- Harmonic Balancer bolt
- Oil Barbell Plug
- Front cover gasket, rear cover gasket, head gaskets, intake o ring gaskets, water pump gaskets, oil pan gasket etc.

That's just some but not all of the many things the list will include. Remember you will also need a pre-oiler, you can not prime these engines like old SBC's with a rod to turn the oil pump, you need some sort of pressure primer to push the oil through the system.

This is all assuming the block is in good condition, if it has wear or damage on the cylinder walls it may be repairable if its not severe. If you doing a rebuild I highly suggest getting some basic machining to the block, deck,hone,aline hone, new cam bearings etc.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Why replace the lifters or the oil pump? Whats the oil pressure on the engine, and has the old pump been disassembled & inspected? Unless there is measurable wear to the pump, I'd just put a new relief valve spring in it and run it. I'd agree withe verfything else thats been listed so far though.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on mileage a oil pump and lifters are a good idea, I never said it would "need" it but if I was putting everything else new in my engine I wouldn't skimp out on lifters or a oil pump.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would change lifters and oil pump since your already right there
Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are the other items you will also need with a rebuild.
- Valvetrain: Cam, pushrods, valve springs
- Timing chain
- Harmonic Balancer bolt
- Oil Barbell Plug
- Front cover gasket, rear cover gasket, head gaskets, intake o ring gaskets, water pump gaskets, oil pan gasket etc.

That's just some but not all of the many things the list will include. Remember you will also need a pre-oiler, you can not prime these engines like old SBC's with a rod to turn the oil pump, you need some sort of pressure primer to push the oil through the system.

This is all assuming the block is in good condition, if it has wear or damage on the cylinder walls it may be repairable if its not severe. If you doing a rebuild I highly suggest getting some basic machining to the block, deck,hone,aline hone, new cam bearings etc.
Thanks a mill for the list 2000PewterT/A!
Although I wish there was no "etc" and "that is just some but not all of the things the list will include".
When someone is looking for an inclusive list, "etc" and "that's not all of it" just leaves the person hanging.

I'm just trying to find out, from ppl who've rebuilt ls1 engines before, what parts to replace when rebuilding an engine.
Now, of course, I know it depends on what is damaged. I'm obviously not asking you guys to predict what is damaged, I'm merely asking what is "typically" changed when doing a full rebuild.

Another thing I'm asking is what Gaskets will I need?...without etc. Just a simple complete list of Gaskets.

Last edited by Freefallin; 12-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just buy a used engine. Unless you are doing substantial upgrades a rebuild is a rip off. You should add up the prices of all those parts and the machine work before you buy anything. A used engine will be way cheaper and you would have less down time.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freefallin
Another thing I'm asking is what Gaskets will I need?...without etc. Just a simple complete list of Gaskets.
- Front Cover Gasket
- Rear Cover Gasket
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Head Gaskets
- Throttle Body Gasket
- Intake O-ring Gaskets
- 4 O-ring gaskets for the steam tubes
- Water Pump Gasket
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket( Use a MLS gasket)
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Injector O-ring Seals

That's everything I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my list, this is for a truck motor so some of the P/N's may not apply however it covers the complete scope of an LS engine build. You can use this as a checklist, just cross off what you don't need.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Stop making everyone else look bad haha, I was hoping you would come comment here, I didn't feel like making a list.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
Here's my list, this is for a truck motor so some of the P/N's may not apply however it covers the complete scope of an LS engine build. You can use this as a checklist, just cross off what you don't need.

Whaaaaaat!!! Just beautiful! Gotta love this forum...Just when you think there is no hope...someone always jumps in and answers the question thoroughly. Thanks RezinTexas!!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

- Front Cover Gasket
- Rear Cover Gasket
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Head Gaskets
- Throttle Body Gasket
- Intake O-ring Gaskets
- 4 O-ring gaskets for the steam tubes
- Water Pump Gasket
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket( Use a MLS gasket)
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Injector O-ring Seals

That's everything I can think of off the top of my head.
Also thanks 2000PewterT/A! Few gaskets on your list that i would've definitely missed!
Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Awesome

Originally Posted by RezinTexas

This is great can you upload this as a pdf or juat the excel spreadsheet please. Again awesome and very through.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 214 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I had saved his images awhile back and I still have them. Here you go.

Quick Reply: Need a quick rundown list of what to replace when doing a rebuild