Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sludge on oil Cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sludge on oil Cap

My low Oil light came up while making a 200 Mile drive this weekend so I stopped at a Discount Auto to Pick up a quart and top it off, what I found was alarming.. Can someone help? I am not to sure if the residue is coolant, has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Sludge on oil Cap-photo-1.jpg   Sludge on oil Cap-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although looking at that cap will not rule out coolant in the oil, it typically is not. Typically, it is merely the accumulation of water, which is a byproduct of combustion and ever present in an engine, that has not boiled off by sufficiently high oil temperatures - generally a winter time phenomenon.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply & sorry for the late response, after almost a month I checked again and the residue has built up once again.. Is there any way to rule out a possible head gasket without checking compression?
-thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you changed your oil lately or checked it? That is what will give you an answer of whether you actually have a leak or not. I highly doubt you do. Your cap is metal just like mine, I clean mine regularly when I change the oil and such though. But I have seen this build up before. I suspect it's because the cap is metal and is creating condensation with temperature change in the weather. And since there is oil residue on the cap and spout the water creates this build up on the cap.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cortinas
Thank you for the reply & sorry for the late response, after almost a month I checked again and the residue has built up once again.. Is there any way to rule out a possible head gasket without checking compression?
-thanks
Do you have any other symptoms:

Are you losing coolant?
Is there froth on the oil dipstick?
Does your car ever overheat?
Does your exhaust output smell sweet?

Doe you make a lot of short trips? If you live in high humidity, every time you drive the car less than 10-12 miles from a cold start you will accumulate water simply because it takes the oil much a long time to reach the 212F required to boil off the water.

Quick Reply: Sludge on oil Cap