Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arm trunion Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Next week I'm swapping out the Comp trunnions/ rocker arms with a set of Tooley trunnions in new rocker arms. I want to inspect the Comp trunnions to see how well they are doing and will post pictures if there is any drama.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine yesterday, bought them already installed. Supposed to be the Comp Cams version. I don't see nothing flimsy about the snap rings on these!
Name:  20150426_212305_zpsdmlkfh3s.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  171.4 KB
Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the snap rings that are the problem with the comps, it's the trunions that people have been having issues with.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Got mine yesterday, bought them already installed. Supposed to be the Comp Cams version. I don't see nothing flimsy about the snap rings on these!
That's is not the Comp kit; snap rings are too big... It's either a Tooley or Summit kit. Probably Tooley's, because the ends are black.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The upgraded bearings will be the big difference, anything else is just splitting atoms.

Keeping those needle bearings out of your motor is main reason.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thewrx
The upgraded bearings will be the big difference, anything else is just splitting atoms.

Keeping those needle bearings out of your motor is main reason.
I realize this. Guy I bought mine from says these have the Comp Cams kit in them.
NOT-A-SPONSOR.COM

Last edited by KCS; 10-20-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't matter... They will work well.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

The seller did message me back today. Said they're Comp trunions but he installed the heavier clips on them.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jontall
Next week I'm swapping out the Comp trunnions/ rocker arms with a set of Tooley trunnions in new rocker arms. I want to inspect the Comp trunnions to see how well they are doing and will post pictures if there is any drama.
I noticed they offer cyro treated and micro polished version of upgrade kit for 449.00. Anybody think the added processes worth it? Reading about cryo treating process sounds like it , but would like others input. Thanks
Old 10-18-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm also curious if the CRS cryo/polished version is worth the price... are they bushed like the CHE variant?

What tools are needed to install a trunnion upgrade, and what's a reasonable amount of time to complete all of them for a first timer? Might there be a write-up somewhere?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'm also curious if the CRS cryo/polished version is worth the price... are they bushed like the CHE variant?

What tools are needed to install a trunnion upgrade, and what's a reasonable amount of time to complete all of them for a first timer? Might there be a write-up somewhere?
Pretty easy with a slip ring pliers, some sockets and a vice. You use a socket small enough to fit in place of the trunion and one that's big enough to receive it. Push out the old one using a vice and then after cleaning everything up use the vice and sockets to press in the new one stopping when you're even on both sides. Use snap ring pliers to install the keeper clips on each end. Be careful not to stretch the rings more than absolutely have to to get them on. IMHO stretching has been part of the problem with them. Takes 4 hours at 15 minutes each or so taking then off, upgrade, re-install if you're fast, maybe more if you drink beer,
Old 10-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Was just looking into this now, good info on this. Thanks. BTR kit looks like the way to go right now.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownMK3Kid
Was just looking into this now, good info on this. Thanks. BTR kit looks like the way to go right now.
I agree.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, 4 hours... not having access to a vice/press and the local hourly rate indicates I'll be paying for the preassembled variety. Are the BTR or CRS versions bushed like the CRE versions? How would you pick bushed or non-bushed for an application?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm, 4 hours... not having access to a vice/press and the local hourly rate indicates I'll be paying for the preassembled variety. Are the BTR or CRS versions bushed like the CRE versions? How would you pick bushed or non-bushed for an application?
Unless something has changed recently, I think CHE are the only cryo treated and bushed rockers. That being said, what are you turning your motor to, what are your spring rates, and how much lift on your cam? I ran the Comp version for a couple years of abuse on the street, drag strip, and extended high RPM road track duty with great success. Even after I had a valve spring failure the rockers looked pristine. I checked each one for signs of damage or excessive wear. Nothing. So if you are a weekend street warrior and your cam is as mild as I suspect, this is a great upgrade in reliability for low cost. CHE's are nice but probably well beyond what you require.

BTW, I'd say four hours is probably assuming a VERY slow beginners pace. I could do the complete build and swap in about that amount of time I suspect. All you need is basic hand tools, a vice, valve spring compressor, air compressor and fitting to connect to the spark plug hole. Look at it as an excuse to get some new tools if you want. Here's a great right up on an LS cam swap that includes how to do those rockers.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123
Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you could do it in a couple of hours.

The cyro treated rockers we sell have our bearing trunnion kit installed, the trunnions themselves have been micropolished and cyro treated as well, which removes the black oxide from the end of the trunnions.
Cryo treated and Micro polished rocker arms

It seems like bushed would be better for a application where you know shock loading would occur. However since the lifters also have bearings, they tend to take the brunt of any lofting, and therefore shock loading, that occurs.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

This would be on a new top end, would be installing them at the same time as new heads, etc. Rev limiter around 6500, valve lift below .615", conical springs (.615", 136#@1.800", 412#@1.170", CB 1.125", Rate 438). In trying to offset some of the cost of the nice lifters, I think the non-cryo'ed preassembled rockers are my preference.

Brian - I sent you an e-mail via LS1Tech a few days ago, did you receive it?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

I got a full set of rockers with BTR trunion up grades already if you wanna buy a set finished already.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Before I installed my comps I soaked them in oil, and wow what a difference in how they move. Much easier. I wonder if guys put them in dry and they burn up quick with big cams and stiff springs. Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the BTR kit. The snap rings are so beefy, I really struggled to get them on with my budget harbor freight snap ring pliers. I have installed comp's version before and they are wayyyyyy less sturdy.

I just used a very basic, cheap bench vice to install them. The bearings slide in with little effort if you line them up straight. I didn't time how long it took, but it was certainly way less than 4 hours. Maybe 90 minutes, tops. Easier than valve springs, imo.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm trunion Upgrade