Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Updated with photos* Well my LS1 BLEW UP... :/ whos taking bets on whats still good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea I started to tear it down but got frustrated and left it lol.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you are planning on doing something crazy spray or turbo etc. Dont mess with the shortblock. 6.0's and 5.3's are very tough in as delivered factory form. Miles don't even matter as long as they are clean and well cared for. The only problem iron 6.0's have and not all of them is turning cam bearings when they get up there in miles. But yours is not up there I mean 200K plus miles when they sometimes turn.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spawne32
lol i feel you on that, that is literally the one thing that drives me absolutely BONKERS when it comes to engines. I've gone to buy used blocks before and turned them down because of RTV. Had a honda B20 one time the guy was using gray RTV as loctite and a thread sealer, it was....EVERYWHEREEEEE.

I only used it on the oil pan. And it's no place to be seen but on the pan. Not in the oil pump or anyplace else. There where bigger issues than that with the motor
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Unless you are planning on doing something crazy spray or turbo etc. Dont mess with the shortblock. 6.0's and 5.3's are very tough in as delivered factory form. Miles don't even matter as long as they are clean and well cared for. The only problem iron 6.0's have and not all of them is turning cam bearings when they get up there in miles. But yours is not up there I mean 200K plus miles when they sometimes turn.
Would it be smart to hold off installing this and have the bearings replaced? I could take it into a re-builder to have it done but the closest place is about 2 1/2 hours away. I dont plan on boost just going to be NA. The most i want to do to the motor is take the oil pan off to fab that to fit my subframe. So i dont end up in the same place as last time.

Also the parts im going to swap on this motor is going to be my intake manifold, LS2 coils, fuel rail and injectors plus throttle body. Then i suppose i will need to switch out my accessory drive system to.

i am hoping with this setup i can make at least 300whp but im unsure if i need to have more supporting mods to hit this goal.

Quick Reply: *Updated with photos* Well my LS1 BLEW UP... :/ whos taking bets on whats still good?