Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cometic gasket head and block prep

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cometic gasket head and block prep

Putting my engine back together and I'm using the .040 cometic gaskets. I plan on spraying them with copper, the block is razor clean and the heads have about 25k on them and are also real clean and I also checked them on a bench with a straight edge to check for warpage and found none.

With all that in mind am I ok to go ahead and install them or should the heads be resurfaced? Has anyone done this without resurfacing the heads? I have done this before with fm head gaskets multiple times and never had issues but I was curious about the cometics. Closest machine shop is a couple hour drive from me and the wait time is horrendous
Old 05-15-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
Putting my engine back together and I'm using the .040 cometic gaskets. I plan on spraying them with copper, the block is razor clean and the heads have about 25k on them and are also real clean and I also checked them on a bench with a straight edge to check for warpage and found none.

With all that in mind am I ok to go ahead and install them or should the heads be resurfaced? Has anyone done this without resurfacing the heads? I have done this before with fm head gaskets multiple times and never had issues but I was curious about the cometics. Closest machine shop is a couple hour drive from me and the wait time is horrendous
What you described is what I did on mine. No issues so far - been almost a year now.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Why are folks using copper spray when the instructions say to install them dry? Is it a band-aid for not resurfacing the heads?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Can't answer for everyone, but I do it, because I'm paranoid
Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Why are folks using copper spray when the instructions say to install them dry? Is it a band-aid for not resurfacing the heads?
i think its something that was always done with the old timers or old engines in general and ppl have just carried it over to the newer motors. with a mls head gasket copper spray is not need and advised against using. granted i am from the import world converted but i have used cometic mls headgaskets on many high hp 4 cylinder apps never with copper spray. the outter layers of a mls gasket already has a coating on it. not saying it will not work with copper spray but def not needed.

Quick Reply: Cometic gasket head and block prep