Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the Beast - 383 supercharged with Mamo top end

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Dont bother with cut-outs....if it was worth 3 RWHP I would fall over.....its going to sound like you have them open all the time anyway.....LOL

=)

-Tony
Lol. Ok. I figured you'd say that, I was just curious of power gains but I didn't lose much power through my previous catback and it wasn't anything special. I'm definitely looking forward to the sound!

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I would not be surprised if the cutouts were somehow quieter than the kooks!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding. I kept my same exhaust combo for my new build (long tubes and dumped x pipe). When I started my Mamofied car for the first time, I could not believe how much louder it was. Just goes to show how much more air is going through the motor.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 AM
9 Second Club

Lol. I can't wait to hear it after all this talk. I drove the car last summer with the cutouts partway open all the time. All the way just didn't have a crisp sound but I think this will have the sound and the volume

And a few extra ponies from it too of course
Old 02-16-2016, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Ok so here's a quick update. I got a little sidetracked the past week with all the snow. Did some snowboarding which cut into my car time lol. Not as much motivation right now to work in the garage when there's some snow to play in. Racing for the summer and snowboarding for the winter (along with rebuilding the car)

So I degreed my cam and it was dead on. I did it twice to make sure and actually my motor for my other car I did the same and it was perfect as well. I was really happy with that. I just realized with checking P to V clearance I either need to use a solid lifter or checker springs in order to get the correct measurements so I ordered a valve spring compressor tool from Comp. I was reading that some guys take one of their old lifters and take the guts out and fill it with jb weld to make a solid lifter but I don't have any old lifters to use so I just ordered the tool. It should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can complete the engine soon. I have everything else I need now. I'm building a little spray booth to paint the engine block in so I don't get overspray everywhere and I will get the block painted soon also.

As for everything else, I sold my tubular front end setup so now there's no going back lol. The MWC race front end will be pretty awesome. I should be ready to put the car back together by the time all my parts are in. I just need to do a little painting in spots I missed and I'll be ready. I'll post some more pics soon.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking great!!! Can't wait to see that block painted all nice and pretty
Old 02-25-2016, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Default update

I painted the block these past few days finally. It looks even better than I thought it would. I used an Eastwood engine ceramic paint in a spray can. The stuff is awesome. It actually has an actuator that you press on the bottom of the can that mixes the paint and activates it. The can only lasts 48 hours then but this stuff goes on great. I used a few coats of primer and a few coats of color and clear. One can of each and there was about a 1/4 can left.

First I made this spray booth. It put a little square to round vent on it with a vent fan and a filter to create a slight downdraft or at least pull most of the overspray out of the air. Worked really good. I made it out of pvc pipe and fittings and a big tarp.

Here is the frame I made

This is just hvac ducting and a vent fan

It's actually pretty clean in here after i pulled the engine out. The tarp was really dusty and covered with overspray but besides that it wasn't bad.

Here's with the primer coat

Here is the finished product

So now just to:
check p to v clearance
measure for pushrod length/finish head install
Install damper
Install water pump
Test fit intake
And I think that's it before I drop it back in the car!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice booth! It looks like you have done that before.

Looks like you are making good progress. The best part is when you turn the key for the first time and it fires right up. Makes you feel damn good after putting in all that hard work!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
Nice booth! It looks like you have done that before.

Looks like you are making good progress. The best part is when you turn the key for the first time and it fires right up. Makes you feel damn good after putting in all that hard work!
Lol. I've painted quite a few small things in the garage and get yelled at for overspray everywhere by my wife. And I hate it all over everything also. Usually I'll take it outside but I couldn't be lazy this time with the 10" of snow in my front yard and had to figure out a way to do it inside. I always have to be building something or figuring something out

And I can't wait until I push the ignition button (no more keys for me). Gonna be pretty sick. I love watching all the rest of these builds finish and start up. Gets me more motivated. Once I complete the engine it will be back to the car, do some painting, fab up some new brake lines and start reassembling.

I got a call from Jeremy at RPM transmission and my TH400 is ready. Just need to order my torque converter. I have been researching those lately.

I have everything else ordered and should be ready for me in the next couple weeks I would think. I was thinking about it and half of my car is basically at Midwest Chassis now lol. My fab 9, coil overs, trans brace, driveshaft and race front end. It will be awesome when it's done. That's when I'll really start moving on it.

And then my harness from Brian Black at Racewire Solutions but that will be a couple weeks also.

Slowly coming together though. Learning as I go which I always enjoy.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

That motor is nice and pretty
Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What Torque converter are you looking at?
Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
That motor is nice and pretty
Thanks for the motivation and direction
Old 02-26-2016, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
What Torque converter are you looking at?
I'm not to saavy on converters. I hear a lot of names thrown around. Jeremy at RPM Trans says Coan Engineering is one of the best for the TH400. That's what I had for the 4L60E. I am thinking of doing the same just because they're local too and really cool to deal with. Might even cut me a little deal because I'm a repeat customer so quickly lol. I'm looking at ATI also so far. Got some good feedback on them and they've been around a long time. Definitely more research to do.

Looking into cam a little it looks like it will pull from 1300rpm and really kick in around 4K. Then should pull up to 7k and flatten out. Tony told me it will peak around 7k and carry the peak. So maybe 3600-4400 stall. It sounds like with the computer I can mess with this a little too but I don't know anything about it yet.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I know. Converters are a whole new world for me. So far for the street I really like my SS3600. It took me almost a month to pick one out! I would think you'd want something in the 4000-4400 stall range, but you are also making boost, so you might be able to get away with something lower.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Default checked p to v

check p to v today and both valves were well clear.

Here are some pics.

Added the clay

Have to replace valvesprings with checker springs

Checker springs in

Used adjustable pushrod to setup rocker

Plenty of clearance

Copper coated gasket

Heads mounted

Nice mock up of what it will look like when done
Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming along nicely, looking good too,
Old 02-28-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good! It won't be long now until you get it back in the car!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks! It's getting closer now. Just need to measure pushrods and wait for some parts to put th beast back together again. Can't wait to hear how the car sounds with the new setup too.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

I haven't done too much since my last update but...

I got my transmission today! Pretty excited

Also, I ordered my converter today. Special spec'd from Mamo and the owner of ATI. Tony said to expect the same quality as him spec'ing a set of heads for me. I'm super pumped.

Trans looks really good...

Old 03-12-2016, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ATI makes one of the best converters on the market, you went with one of the best! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Building the Beast - 383 supercharged with Mamo top end