Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Reliefs For a 6L LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Reliefs For a 6L LQ9

Hey Guys im wondering where you guys find your information on valve clearance. Im rebuilding an LQ9 and plan on doing some L92 heads a bigger cam and a fast intake. Its time to order my Con rods and pistons for my short block. I chatted online with a guy from comp cams basically asking him for a ball park base line for the max lift i could expect out of a medium to aggressive lift street cam with a big lopey idle. Before the guy disconnected me from the chat line all he could tell me was the cam was the last thing to buy in an engine build.
I understand that, but i dont want to build the engine and shoot myself in the foot by not buying valve reliefs or big enough valve reliefs. If someone could steer me in the right direction that would be great. I probably need to try and plan this whole thing out better but being my first build im new to this stuff so bear with me!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are buying aftermarket forged piston, most come with ample valve reliefs for all but the most extreme applications. Just make sure that when you order your pistons for your LQ9, that you choose pistons with LS3 style valve reliefs. Many pistons are designed to work with both cathedral and rectangle port heads, but best to check to avoid problems and extra work later.

Next, forget about Comp Cams tech. It is pot luck on who you might get on the phone there. When you are ready to get your cam, call Kip @ Cam Motion, Martin Smallwood or Geoff Skinner at EPS. They are knowledgeable, accessible and will get you a superior quality camshaft.

While this may surprise you, lift is not the primary consideration in valve clearance. It is valve timing. So, your duration and lobe centers will be what is important. As I said though, with aftermarket forged pistons, you will likely have ample clearance.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet thanks a lot for the reply! What made you go with the Victor Jr over the fast on your car?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_Newbie55
Sweet thanks a lot for the reply! What made you go with the Victor Jr over the fast on your car?
He is running a carburetor

Quick Reply: Valve Reliefs For a 6L LQ9