Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP bolt, stock rod, standard bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default ARP bolt, stock rod, standard bearing?

If I use ARP rod bolts in my stock rods and have them resized do I still use the stock bearing or does resizing usually need a different bearing. Crank will be a unturned stock ls1 crank. Going with clevite P series.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Usually the resizing is done to make the rods the same size as stock since the ARP bolts put more clamping pressure on the cap thus possibly distorting the roundness of the rod end. So you shouldn't necessarily need different size bearings. But the person doing the resizing is going to answer this question as he/she will know exactly what size the diameter is and thus what bearings you will need.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:10 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You need a different bearing. This topic, to include specific part numbers, was literally discussed within the last week or so. Try the search function. Lots of info out there.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Usually the resizing is done to make the rods the same size as stock since the ARP bolts put more clamping pressure on the cap thus possibly distorting the roundness of the rod end. So you shouldn't necessarily need different size bearings. But the person doing the resizing is going to answer this question as he/she will know exactly what size the diameter is and thus what bearings you will need.
That is not true on a fractured cap connecting rod. Typically on a flat cap rod the cap is cut down, then the rod is honed back to round and the original size. On a fractured cap, you can not cut the cap down as it would no longer mate, so the connecting rod is honed oversized to bring it back to round, typically .002". Clevite CB1776A is an aluminum bearing that will fit a standard journal crankshaft with a rod that is .002" oversize and the bearing I use after installing ARP rod bolts and resizing the rods.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is not true on a fractured cap connecting rod.
Well lol, then a friend of mine is running with undersized bearings cuz all he did was use stock bearings after he had the rods honed for ARP bolts. Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:02 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by redtan
Well lol, then a friend of mine is running with undersized bearings cuz all he did was use stock bearings after he had the rods honed for ARP bolts. Thanks for clarifying that.
It does say to hone the rods .002" over in ARP's instructions...however, in my 6.2L build, the rod big ends didn't distort enough to need it. They were distorted and were out of round, but not by an unacceptable amount and the largest diameter was still within spec. I just ran normal ACL bearings instead of the OS bearings.

I did install ARP's on another set and didn't get so lucky. They had to be honed and I used the OS bearing, but sold it all and went to forged rods and pistons instead.

These were the stronger ARP 2000 bolts too BTW.

Quick Reply: ARP bolt, stock rod, standard bearing?