Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough/unsteady Idle after head intake swap and bigger fuel inje

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough/unsteady Idle after head intake swap and bigger fuel inje

Just finished putting on my ported 243 heads and ls6 intake and 42lb injectors and when I start it up it stays at about 300rpms and does not react to throttle at all unless held constantly engine also shakes quite a bit I'm just wondering if it's normal since I just added all these thing to it and haven't gotten it tuned yet it will also bounce around in roms a lot if I leave it idling for a while anyone got an idea or do I just need a tune no codes are being thrown up
Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theoretically just increasing airflow with the intake and heads might not have upset things completely as the MAF would see more air and attempt to compensate. Of course by the injectors obviously you knew you would need more fuel under load; but it might have been able to settle down to a half-*** idle. But injector flow is one of those values that the PCM relies heavily on to know how much fuel it is dumping in there. If you could run it long enough without causing further issues, you would eventually get codes I think.

Short version: if you change injectors, it will not be able to compensate and run even decently until you get it tuned. The PCM still thinks it has stock injectors and will until a tune.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Teching In

So the bigger injectors could cause the shaking problem since the ecm doesn't know what to do
Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, among other things. It will at least run very rich. Did you do all that and not change the cam?
Old 02-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Default Update

Yeah I didn't change the cam decided to get the heads first and do the cam later I'm going tomorrow to get it tuned so I'll find out what's up then and post the after effects of the tune

so I got it tuned runs great now it was due to the injectors being different car is much faster now don't know by how much but it's noticeable

Last edited by Zulufoxtrot; 02-20-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Car received tune solved problem

Quick Reply: Rough/unsteady Idle after head intake swap and bigger fuel inje