Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for you Cam brains 218 224/529 534/114+4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for you Cam brains 218 224/529 534/114+4

To start with I live in CA and have to pass a sniffer/ODBII test for smog so I am told that this cam 218 224/529 534/114/+4 will still allow me to do that plus give me some decent gains. I also run a small 90 dry shot of Nitrous and I'm told this CAM responds well to that.

My quesitons are:

1. Will this cam be the right choice for a streetable A-4
2. Can someone explain the idle difference between a 114 and a 112 in behavior and which is better/prefered?
3. What do you guys think the HP gain will be when I put this cam in with the following parts:
4. What other parts should I put in that I have missed (excluding drive train)

78MM FAST intake
Patriot Stage II heads with double springs
Comp hardened push rods
SLP under drive pulley
SLP double roller timing chain
Ported oil pump
Pacesetter LT headers with SLP high flow CAT's
1.7 Yella Terra roller rockers

Future plans are a built tranny, 3200 to 3500 Stall and probably a 9 or 12 bolt once I blow up what I have.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

1-YES
2-In A4 better idle unless tuned properly. Also 114 powerband will come higher in the rpm than a 112.

3- is a biggy
a-an LS6 is enough, no need for the hype of FAST
b-go with 5.3's PP II
c- ASP or March is the way to go (Pulley)
d-With that small cam no need for double roller. (stock will do or single roller)
e-In Cali, if you change the position of the stock cats, you are against the law. So BBK shorties with 01/02 cats is the best you can do.
f- YT are too heavy for the springs on that cam. Harland or stock are enough. Harlands are the best for the price. (320$)
g-As far as the 10 bolt, there is no way you will blow it unless you do a massive neutral dump on it. I'm shooting NOS to 440+hp and still not phased.
4- I'm not bashing, but helping, read a lot more, start with TC and headers, then move to better breathing intake, MAF, TB.
after this is done the start thinking cam, heads etc....

cheers

Originally Posted by Honez
To start with I live in CA and have to pass a sniffer/ODBII test for smog so I am told that this cam 218 224/529 534/114/+4 will still allow me to do that plus give me some decent gains. I also run a small 90 dry shot of Nitrous and I'm told this CAM responds well to that.

My quesitons are:

1. Will this cam be the right choice for a streetable A-4
2. Can someone explain the idle difference between a 114 and a 112 in behavior and which is better/prefered?
3. What do you guys think the HP gain will be when I put this cam in with the following parts:
4. What other parts should I put in that I have missed (excluding drive train)

78MM FAST intake
Patriot Stage II heads with double springs
Comp hardened push rods
SLP under drive pulley
SLP double roller timing chain
Ported oil pump
Pacesetter LT headers with SLP high flow CAT's
1.7 Yella Terra roller rockers

Future plans are a built tranny, 3200 to 3500 Stall and probably a 9 or 12 bolt once I blow up what I have.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I know the LT headers will not pass but there seems to be a lot of guys in my area passing the visual in spite of the CAT's being moved so I figured why not. WIth regard to the heads I thought long and hard about the 5.3s but they would bring my compression up to 11.1 and with the **** for gas we have here I was worried about pinging during the hotter months. What do you mean the Yella Terra's are to heavy, do you mean over kill?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Honez
Thanks for the feedback, I know the LT headers will not pass but there seems to be a lot of guys in my area passing the visual in spite of the CAT's being moved so I figured why not.
if you can get away with it why not
WIth regard to the heads I thought long and hard about the 5.3s but they would bring my compression up to 11.1 and with the **** for gas we have here I was worried about pinging during the hotter months.
Unmilled 5.3 with a MLF gasket with yield around 10.5>10.6 CR so unless there is no Z06 in Cali. I wouldn't worry about it.

What do you mean the Yella Terra's are to heavy, do you mean over kill?
I mean head heavy for the spring required for a 218/224, ie 918's. If you are certain about using YT's, then get dual springs like PP "gold".

Quick Reply: Questions for you Cam brains 218 224/529 534/114+4