Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my stock LS1 crank work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 10:52 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will my stock LS1 crank work?

I'm getting ready to do my build-up on my LS1 shortblock. I bought it used with around 90,000 miles on it. Now should I buy another crank with less miles on it or would using this one be fine? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

if your still planning what you have in your sig the stock crank will work fine.
if your worried, you could get it magnafluxed...
Old 06-29-2004, 11:07 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
if your still planning what you have in your sig the stock crank will work fine.
if your worried, you could get it magnafluxed...
I'm kinda worried that it might warp or some crap. How much does getting it magnafluxed cost? Do you think it would be worth it with that many miles? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Magnafluxing is relatively cheap, around $75 or so. It will only identify cracks, not warpage.
The stock cranks are of really good quality. The only problem I hear about is spun bearings, both main and rod, due to oiling issues. I got a donor 5.3L long block with this exact problem. It is very obvious once the pan and caps are removed. At this point turning is an option but then locating oversize bearings and the like could get tricky.
I got a used one on Ebay for around $100 bucks shipped ( very heavy ). It visually looks great but then I got a little crazy and ended up with a stroker kit instead. Again, it depends on how badly abused the current one you have is. Also remember that any 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0 LS1 motor uses the exact same crank. Only the 4.8 has a shorter throw. Use your judgement based on how crazy you get with the engine. I understand people have put 600+ HP and power adders with no bottom end problems.
FYI, I have the stock, magnafluxed LS1 crank and bearings if interested. I paid $200 shipped for everything, let you have them all for $180 shipped if interested.