Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long should it take a new stroker engine to stop burning oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should it take a new stroker engine to stop burning oil ?

I have a new stroker motor that was just built but it is using oil and i odnt mean a little I put 6 qts in this weekend ? and i have not got the car over 4000 rpm ?? WTF ???
Old 07-06-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

Something is wrong... A new motor will burn very very little to no oil, if built correctly. They will tell you it takes time for the rings to seal, BS. They may tell you it will take time for the valves to seat, BS. This is only true if the machine work was not done correctly, or was done half ***. If the block was honed with the mains torqued and a torque plate was used, the rings should seal right away and be "broken in" the first time you stab it. If the seats are ground correctly and the valves faced correctly and especially if they lap them in as most performance shops should, they will seat immediatly.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a problem bud. The motor will burn off some oil, but only whatever is in the cylinders when its built. It wont use oil at all though. Ive built 2 motors so far and neither one has used a drop.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Country Boy
You have a problem bud. The motor will burn off some oil, but only whatever is in the cylinders when its built. It wont use oil at all though. Ive built 2 motors so far and neither one has used a drop.
Hey Carl, what is the status on your car now? Havent talked to any of you guys for quite a while since I been overseas.

J.R., I am still waiting to hear from you. I am coming back from overseas to be stationed in the States in less than a month, where is my heads? It has been about 6 months already!?

-Mike Chapman
Old 07-09-2004, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't say it shouldn't use any, but yours is excessive!! my 383 has burned some since it was built and has 50k HARD miles on it and is still strong as ever. mine burns about 1qt every 500 miles...