Sponsored by:

Cam Help and other questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Help and other questions!!

Thanks in advance!!

I am looking to put in these mods for my car.

TR 215/220 .600/.523 115 LSA Cam (have to pass emmisions...if anyone thinks this won't pass..lemme know)
New Pushrods, Vavlue Springs and Retainers.
SLP Lid
**JBA Shortie Headers (...stupid NJ)
Magnaflow Catback
LS6 Intake Manifold
**Bassani Y-pipe with High Flow Cats

Now I have a couple of questions, since I have not bought most of these mods as of yet.

1) Should I get the new retainers? I'm not really sure what these do so someone help me out

2) The JBA shortie headers. Are they worth it over the stock 98 manifolds if I get the cam. (aka..not as good as the 00-02). I would never dream of getting these without purchasing the Cam, so after I install the Cam, will these perform significantly better than the stock manifolds. And no, I won't get Mid-leghts since I have heard they move the Cats (atleast the MACs do..if anyone knnows if the Bassani don't lemme know).

3) Do hooker shortie headers have a CARB certifacation?

4) The Bassani Y-pipe, do those move the cats when installing it to shortie headers. If they don't, should I just get these and keep the stock manifolds or vice-versa?

5) Is the LS6 intake manifold with EGR provisions good for this kind of set-up?

6) Should I get anything else? Port the TB? New injectors?

Thanks!!!!!!

-Todd
Old 07-11-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good picks for Cali emissions. Okay, the cam is a good choice sleeper cam (I got the old man as well ) The 98's can use the shorty headers as an improvment over the stock manifold. And while I do believe they do have a C.A.R.B. #, best to give them a call and make sure. The LS6 intake manifold is worth the money, especially if you're going w/ the new cam and headers. The Basanni Y pipe w/ high flow cats is going to screw you though, if you're trying to stay in the letter of the law. All in all, it sounds like you've made some good choices. You won't recognize your car when you're done. Good Job.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Good picks for Cali emissions. Okay, the cam is a good choice sleeper cam (I got the old man as well ) The 98's can use the shorty headers as an improvment over the stock manifold. And while I do believe they do have a C.A.R.B. #, best to give them a call and make sure. The LS6 intake manifold is worth the money, especially if you're going w/ the new cam and headers. The Basanni Y pipe w/ high flow cats is going to screw you though, if you're trying to stay in the letter of the law. All in all, it sounds like you've made some good choices. You won't recognize your car when you're done. Good Job.
You're headed in the right direction.. nice cam.. but from what I've read. You don't have to just settle for that one. You can for either the TR220 or 224.. on a 114 and they'll both pass emissions also.

Check out the Random Tech y-pipe also.

The list looks good though.. I also believe that those shorties are CARB because my buddy is running a set in Cali.