Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun bearing,crank wore too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spun bearing,crank wore too much?

i know this is probably something that a machine shop or a trained eye would actually have to SEE to answer but here goes..i spun a number 1 rod bearing, it spun really bad and i can physically see where the bearing has spun the material off the crank and there is a small "lip" if i take both rods off and run my finger across the crank it will snag due to this lip that was created due to the bearing spinning..is this too much too machine out? i know its hard to say without seeing it but i just want some opinions..
thanks matt
Old 07-13-2004, 02:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default spun bearing

The crank needs to be taken out of the engine to check it. It is probably bent as well as worn. It may even be cracked if it got hot enough. In any case your local race engine shop should be able to mike the journal to see how badly it is worn, check the crank in v-blocks to see how straight it is, magnaflux it to see if it's cracked.

If it is not cracked and straight, you may be able to have it reground undersize and reuse it. You will have to replace the rods on that journal as well. You also need to find out why you spun the bearing so it does not reoccur.

Originally Posted by redbandit98
i know this is probably something that a machine shop or a trained eye would actually have to SEE to answer but here goes..i spun a number 1 rod bearing, it spun really bad and i can physically see where the bearing has spun the material off the crank and there is a small "lip" if i take both rods off and run my finger across the crank it will snag due to this lip that was created due to the bearing spinning..is this too much too machine out? i know its hard to say without seeing it but i just want some opinions..
thanks matt
Old 07-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats weird that you spun #1, i have never seen #1 spin on a LS1 MANY MANY #6's including mine, twice..
Old 07-13-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jason98Zee
thats weird that you spun #1, i have never seen #1 spin on a LS1 MANY MANY #6's including mine, twice..
A friend of mine spun a couple but #1 was the worst
Old 07-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

thats weird.. i guess most are caused by low oil levels, and in that case the bearings farthest from the oilpump are at most risk?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Matt Its Brandon.. you told me you were gonna cam it if the motor came out.. so lets get crackin.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello brandon,nice to see you on the board..yes im still trying to decide what route i want to go with my new motor,you should come by the house and check it out ive got her tore down pretty good..hopefully when its done i can hang with that mimi of yours..hahaha